Apple time capsule 500GB

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a Apple time capsule 500GB Wireless G&N version from a friend who is upgrading to the 1TB version. This got me thinking, could I upgrade the 500GB version to a 1TB or even a 2TB capacity?

Would be interested in thoughts and opinions on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
There are reports that this is feasible though I don't personally know anyone who has done it. Inside is an ordinary 500gb drive. You should be able to crack open the case and swap it out just like you would in a PC.

Someone posted a few weeks ago that they were using a USB hub connected to the TC. They had a printer connected to the hub and also an external drive. They said it worked. I've thought about trying it out of curiosity, but never got around to it. If it works, plugging a 1TB external into the TC is not a bad option for a quick fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3
Feasible, the disk can be replaced without even formatting it, the TC will take care of formatting when switched on. You can find a step by step procedure on how to replace the disk with a 1TB here. I'm using an off the shelf 1TB model now, will replace with a 2TB when prices go down (and space is taken...).

Keep in mind that opening the TC will end all warranty support on it, so do it only if it isn't covered anymore by Apple support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.