typing symbols using ALT key

Reaction score
Hello. New here and I haven't been using my Macbook Pro very long so I'm still kinda new with it... Anyway I'm just wondering if anyone knows why I'm having this problem. When I go to alt the keys I'll get the symbols like this ˇÁŒÅS and I'm trying to get some of the symbols like this ˇ right over the letter I want. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
To get é, ü, ñ, å, you hold the Option key, strike the letter, release the Option key, and strike the letter a second time.

Does that answer your question?

Reaction score
To get é, ü, ñ, å, you hold the Option key, strike the letter, release the Option key, and strike the letter a second time.

Does that answer your question?
How do I get the Command symbol?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Command symbol would be for the letter "i" using the same technique. î

You have at least two other options for adding characters to your text. One, there are special character widgets out there that are pretty cool, and two; go to /System Preferences/Language & Text/ Input Sources and check the "Keyboard & Character Viewer" box. That will place a viewer icon in your menu bar. You can select special characters and add them to your text from the viewer.

For widgets see:
http://www.doubleforte.net/widgets/symbol-caddy/
http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/reference/characterpal.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.