Feedback about 2006 Pro 2g Zeon Mac Pro

Reaction score
the machine is custom 2gz zeon 4g Ram......havent actually got in hand but believe it's the first one (because 2gz) I believe I got a good deal at £690 however the problem is using 64 bitSnow Leop..I have been told it will not run 64 bit natively only 32 bit...my concern is that all future updates and apps from mac will no doubt be made for native 64...some have said it's not an issue, but my friend (mac buff) says 'they can think that if they want' (sarcasm implied)...as I am running powerbook g4 ppc at the moment I am sure it will be a huge improvement, however I would like some opinions on whether it might be better to spend a little more and get a core2 laptop, or similiar, or if this really is a good deal, and I will be happy for a couple years...would be glad of any and all feedback RE price, Pro '06 vis a vis a newer laptop and other suggestions, hints or jokes at my expense!

I just want to get some opinions here before taking plunge..drawbacks for me 1)I don't like the idea of not being able to update the OS (assuming its 64 native) 2) dont like the fact it doesnt run 64 bit natively...plus side 1) It will be a major upgrade for me, as am using g4 ppc and can run Snow L 2)I can afford it (just).. can I pick some minds re price and how long its likely to last? I mostly use my mac for video and music..what exactly will I need to watch HD video? am wavering whether to milk my g4 until I can save enough, or take the plunge and start saving again...some of you have helped already, I just need more opinions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
1) Why won't you be able to update the OS? If it's an Intel processor, you'll be able to upgrade to the latest.

2) I believe ALL of the Mac Pros' processors are 64-bit which means it'll be enabled in OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard. The kernel will still be 32-bit but this is to ensure compatibility and won't affect performance for the most part.

3) You won't need much to watch HD videos. In fact the 9400M runs Full HD content just fine. I believe all the Mac Pros' have dedicated video cards with at least 256MB which means you're set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged Crossposts/Similar threads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
I'm not sure what you mean by "native." If the processor is 64-bit, Mac OS X will utilize 64-bit applications and processes.

What Snow Leopard will not do automatically, is boot 64-bit kernel largely due to compatibility of various drivers. You can easily change the system to load it however.

OP
L
Reaction score
I mean it has EFI32 firmware which will prevent the use of a 64-bit Snow Leopard kernel. Basically I'm asking pro users opinions whether they think its worth the money now, or to wait until i can save for a newer model....

OP
L
Reaction score
Sorry for double-Buy early Mac Pro 2gz 4GRAM for £690, or save for later model?

I managed to lose the thread somehow...The earliest model...... just want to get some opinions here before taking plunge..drawbacks for me 1)I don't like the idea of not being able to update the OS 2) dont like the fact it doesnt run 64 bit natively...plus side 1) It will be a major upgrade for me, as am using g4 ppc and can run Snow L 2)I can afford it (just) can I pick some minds re price and how long its likely to last? I mostly use my mac for video and music..what exactly will I need to watch HD video? am wavering whether to milk my g4 until I can save enough, or take the plunge and start saving again...

2006 2GZ Mac OS X (10.5)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged crossposts

There is no way on this green earth I could ever recommend someone spend what is the equivalent of $1150 U.S. on a 3 year old computer. Don't care what it is or has in it. Save your money.

For only another £160 you can get a brand new iMac with a 3.06Ghz Core2Duo. Wait another 2-3 months can probably get it as a refurb for only an extra £60 over the price of that 3 year old machine, and have the full Applecare warranty for 12 months.

Take the cash you have, sell the G4 and the monitor and bet you've got almost enough to step up to the 27" and maybe even to the core i5 processor. Betcha, it'll swallow that 2Ghz zeon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.