mail vs entourage

Reaction score
Hi,

For years I used PC's and worked with Office and Outlook (2007 latest). Now I bought a MacBook and I like it very much. I would like to know which one is the better: Mail or Entourage. I have 10.000nds of mail, 1000 addresses and I used the calendar of Outlook intensively. So which one would suit me best, Mail or Entourage?

And how to import all the messages etc? I know that there are methods, but I would like to know about a nice and handy program thaat does the work for me clean and without errors.

Who can help me?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Entourage is the closest thing to Outlook on the Mac. Which is better is a matter of personal taste. If you're asking if Mail can handle your needs, the answer is no (at least not by itself). In order to duplicate all of the things you can do with Outlook (Contacts, Calendaring, Mail, etc), you would need to use a combination of Address Book, iCal and Mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Outlook 2 Mac by Little Machines will transfer your emails from Outlook to Entourage. It's well worth the $10. There are a couple free ways to do it, but it's an all day project. Spend the $10 and get a day of your life back.

Little Machines

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Count me in for Outlook 2 Mac also. And, you might be interested in knowing that it appears MS will release a version of Outlook for the Mac in its next iteration of Mac Office - possibly in 2010. Check this blog for more info.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I found entourage slow when i used it (Mac version)

I like mail very much for its ease and usability ...
Be warned though when you do pick one and have it set up, when it firsts opens it will bring across your 10's of thousand emails and that can take quite a while.
For me i imported 234 odd and it took nearly a hour.

To over come this in your 'not Mac' account make another folder and put all the emails you dont want into that folder and leave the rest in your inbox (the ones you want imported) as entourage or mail will only import the inbox and drafts .... From memory ... :)

Reaction score
I got my first Mac in Jan 2009. I started with Entourage (part of Office for Mac 2008) but after some time migrated to Apple Mail due to instabilities with Entourage.

I've been happy with Mail ever since. Yes, I do have to use Address Book, and iCal, and it's not so integrated like Outlook, but I got used to it.

Mind you, I am only using Mail for my non-Exchange mail. I still use Outlook via Parallels desktop when working on my client sites for work.

As far as converting Outlook e-mails. I have tried Outlook 2 Mac, but find that MessageSave is much better. It's faster and you have more options regarding how the e-mail address headers come over. MessageSave gets installed on you machine with your Outlook mail and get's installed as a toolbar icon. You click on it, select which folders to export, select your options and then export it as an mbox file. Then you put this file on your mac and import it. Simple!

If you haven't already, look into the 'Letterbox' plug-in for mail. this will give you lines seperating your mails..visually better. Also look into 'Herald' plug-in which gives you a summary notification of e-mails which come in.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for all your tips. I work with mail now, reasonbly fine. I converted with O2M and I have all my addresses, mails and calendar data on my Mac now.

I have some new questions but I will start a new thread for them.

Thanks again.

Peter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.