Number's shortcut for Fill Down

Reaction score
We just bought a Mac and I use Excel (now Numbers) for a TON of things. I also use the fill down tool a lot. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a keyboard shortcut for the Fill Down option?

This is driving me bonkers!

Thank you!

~Natalie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
just drag handle in bottom right corner of cell and drag down - if u wnt a series then put box round 2 cells and drag down

Click for full size

Reaction score
keyboard shortcut

That doesn't really answer the question.... which was for a KEYBOARD shortcut. I just started using Numbers instead of Excel myself and I am finding the lack of keyboard support particularly annoying. Especially the lack of a shortcut for Fill. Fortunately you can assign your own shortcuts in Mac OS X

Goto Systems Preferences, select Keyboard, and Click on Keyboard Shortcuts, Click the plus "+" sign to add a shortcut, select or Add Numbers as the Application and put "Fill Down" in the command spot and then assign your shortcut. I assigned command D, similar to Excel.

:Shouting: Now I must rant about the lack of keyboard support in Numbers. I really don't understand why Apple didn't include shortcuts like the one above by default. It's kind of an obvious thing and any Excel power user would be quite unhappy without it. There are also some other annoyances with the keyboard such as the inability to specify a range with the cursor keys when entering a formula. For example Try typing "=sum(" and the using your cursor and shift keys to specify the range... you can't do it, you have to move your hand all the way over to your mouse, position, click and drag for the range... This takes way longer to do, especially if you're just doing a quick little sum or other function where the cells are very close by. While the mouse can be a very useful accessory I really dislike being forced to use it unnecessarily. The mouse should be used to help us not hinder. The invention of the mouse was a great thing but it is not the only way to do things... I would be willing to wager large amounts of money that a Excel power user that knows all the keyboard shortcuts is an order of magnitude faster than someone who uses the mouse. If Apple wants those same power users to switch to Mac/Numbers they should have the same capabilities in their software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
:Shouting: Now I must rant about the lack of keyboard support in Numbers. I really don't understand why Apple didn't include shortcuts like the one above by default. It's kind of an obvious thing and any Excel power user would be quite unhappy without it. There are also some other annoyances with the keyboard such as the inability to specify a range with the cursor keys when entering a formula. For example Try typing "=sum(" and the using your cursor and shift keys to specify the range... you can't do it, you have to move your hand all the way over to your mouse, position, click and drag for the range... This takes way longer to do, especially if you're just doing a quick little sum or other function where the cells are very close by. While the mouse can be a very useful accessory I really dislike being forced to use it unnecessarily. The mouse should be used to help us not hinder. The invention of the mouse was a great thing but it is not the only way to do things... I would be willing to wager large amounts of money that a Excel power user that knows all the keyboard shortcuts is an order of magnitude faster than someone who uses the mouse. If Apple wants those same power users to switch to Mac/Numbers they should have the same capabilities in their software.
To select cells using the arrow keys while typing a formula, hold the Option key while pressing the arrow keys. You can also hold Shift to make ranges, and each time you let up on the Option key, a comma is inserted and a new cell or range begins. It's quite handy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.