trying to connect remotely to a server - error code 36

Reaction score
I am trying to connect remotely to a server that has macs and pc attached to it. Specifically trying to connect to a mac remotely. I get an error code 36 the finder cannot complete the operation because some data in afp //ssh %20193.168.1.1 could not be read or written...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
How are you trying to connect? If you're clicking it in the sidebar, I don't know what to tell you, but if you're using Go → Connect to Server… then the error is coming from that malformed address. Do you want to connect with AFP File Sharing or SSH? If it's AFP, your address will be have this format (from the "Connecting to shared computers and servers using a network address" help article):
Mac Help said:
afp://ComputerName.CompanyName.com
To see the AFP file sharing address for a Mac OS X computer, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Sharing, and select File Sharing. The address appears in the window.
If you're connecting with SSH, you need to do it from the terminal.

OP
R
Reaction score
The woman is trying to connect from home via cable modem...she is using ssh and getting error 36 the finder cannot complete the operation because some data in afp //ssh %20193.168.1.1 could not be read or written...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
So you are using SSH, but how are you trying to connect? Using the Finder? That's not possible from my understanding unless you're doing something along these lines. Otherwise, you should be using Terminal (it's in your Utilities folder). Open it and use the ssh command. For information on how to use it, try running man ssh from the command prompt.

Edit: Oh, and make sure you allow remote terminal access to the Mac being connected to.

OP
R
Reaction score
I did do all of the above and still unfortunately got the same problem.......Do you have any other suggestions??? Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.