any programs to clean up computer?

Reaction score
hey, are there any programs like AdAware, Spybot, Disk CleanUp and Disk Defragmenter for a PowerBook? i just want to take safety precautions so as not to get any viruses and to keep it running in top shape.

D

dstyrk

I recommend you go here and grab Onyx.

You don't need to worry about virus/spy-ware they are a NON issue with Mac's.

D

dstyrk

No problem.

You don't really "need" anything if you leave your computer on all the time. You Mac will run all it's own maintenance between 3-5am. It will optimize (disk defrag) every time you install something new, and I believe when you power down. Don't quote me on the last thing though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Log off all apps. Then: cron tasks 1. Close all apps 2. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities).
2. Type: sudo sh /etc/daily
Note: Typing "daily" runs tasks normally scheduled for a daily interval. Type "monthly" or "weekly" in place of "daily" to runs tasks scheduled for those intervals.
3. Press Return.
4. Enter your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.
5. Quit Terminal when the task is complete. weekly tasks usually require a longer time to run than monthly or daily.
repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

Reaction score
Ok but I think I should delete a few thousand emails. should I empty trash to just let it do the 30 day thing. and what about Outlook sending emails from gmails to trash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
2005! This is the biggest zombie we have had as yet?

Barb I opt for under Mail > Preferences > Mail Box Behaviours and select empty aftert one week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
2005! This is the biggest zombie we have had as yet?

It happens, doesn't it, because people search for previous answers to their problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, as long as this was revived...

You(r) Mac will run all it's own maintenance between 3-5am. It will optimize (disk defrag) every time you install something new, and I believe when you power down. Don't quote me on the last thing though.

The "automatic optimization" is not flawless, at least not according to TechTool Pro. I optimize 3 to 4 times a year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 6s+, MbP 2015, iWatch 2.
You can use Ccleaner. It's pretty good at getting rid of junk out of your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't use that PC rubbish on your Mac. Use only Onyx!

Great on PCs, useless on Macs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Well, as long as this was revived...

The "automatic optimization" is not flawless, at least not according to TechTool Pro. I optimize 3 to 4 times a year.
I've used Tech Tool Pro off and on for some time now. I think the automatic optimization and the kind of defragmentation done by Tech Tool Pro seem to be two different things. I know this is an old article but I think it will explain the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@slydude
Thanks for the link. I had always thought defragmentation and optimization were synonymous. I suppose TTP's File Optimization is a "defrag" utility, and Disk Optimization takes care of file placement. I run FO first, then DO. And yes, FO finds fragmented files and puts them back together again. It's the Humpty Dumpty segment of TTP. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad that link helps. I think that is the likely reason some utilities report fragmentation despite Apple's best efforts.

I stopped running defragmentation routines some time ago. For me, the level of fragmentation was usually so low that the small amount of performance improvement that might be gained wasn't worth the lost time. The only time I have run any defragmentation in the last few years is during one attempt to build a Bootcamp partition. The drive had enough total available space to create the partition but the space wasn't contiguous.

Reaction score
@slydude
Thanks for the link. I had always thought defragmentation and optimization were synonymous.

I have a popular Web site that explains the difference between defragmentation and optimization:

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

It also explains that the Mac's built-in maintenance routines don't do much of value.

I don't recommend "cleaner" applications because I routinely hear from folks who have had their Macs damaged by them.

The question about anti-virus software comes up constantly. You don't really need anti-virus software for the Macintosh. Check out these videos:

Do Macs Need Anti-Virus Software?
http://macmost.com/do-macs-need-antivirus.html

also:

How To Protect Your Mac From Malware
http://macmost.com/how-to-protect-your-mac-from-malware.html

However, adware is a nuisance on the Macintosh (though it isn't at all malicious), so you may want to download and occasionally run:

MalwareBytes (free)
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apologies for forgetting about your site Randy.:Oops: If I'd remembered that I would have recommended it. Always nice to keep things in the family so to speak.;D

M

MacInWin

Given the zombieness of the thread, we do need to say "don't run optimizers or defraggers on solid state drives, just spinners."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I stopped running defragmentation routines some time ago. For me, the level of fragmentation was usually so low that the small amount of performance improvement that might be gained wasn't worth the lost time.

I don't lose any time. I get it started then put myself to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It happens, doesn't it, because people search for previous answers to their problem?

A bit late here, but I dare say that this site's "search" ability is pretty lame as are most sites that seem to use the same software and similar format.

As some kids would say, basically — it sucks!!

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.