Intel Macbook late 2007 usb ports no longer working

Reaction score
hi everybody,
I am experiencing a very annoying, strange problem with my macbook.
Here are the specs:
macbook 13'', intel core 2 duo, 3gb ram, 260gb hardrive (late 2007 model).
The other day I purchased an external usb2 dvd lightscribe writer mac compatible, which worked well at first. i purchased such item because in shipping (via dhl) my macbook back home from italy the internal optical drive was experiencing problems ejecting cds/dvds.
I use my macbook as a daw running logic studio/protools + mbox2. (via usb)
anyway, the other morning I plugged in my external dvd writer and suddenly
the macbook shutdown by itself and restarted on reboot a message came up saying that the usb ports were disabled as a connected device was drawing too much power and that the usb ports will be re-enabled as soon as the device was unplugged. no device is now connected to such ports but the message continues to appear at every boot.
I reset the nvram, went into safe mode, repaired permisisons, checked hardware with techtool pro 5. reset the mcu. nothing has worked.
Eventually the message stopped appearing. I left the macbook unplugged with no battery inserted for a whole night. but nothing worked.
3 months ago I took my macbook, out of guarantee, to a certified repair centre as apple accepted responsibility for the deterioration of my keypad and replaced it for free.
Now, being out of guarantee, I tried to dismantle the unit myself to check the usb ports but unfortunately, whatever way the apple technician re-assembled the unit when replacing the keyboard, most of the screws will not unscrew.seems as if they were forced screwed into place.
Now the nearest apple repair centre is 3hours away from where I am.
can anyone come up with some advice.
apple has given me another open case id, does it mean I might not be charged for repair?
or is there any other way to re-enable usb ports?

mirco

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just for the fun of it, try resetting the PRAM. Not sure if that will work in your case, but simple to try.

Reboot and right after the Startup Sound press and hold Command+Option+P+R. Keep those keys down and listen for 2 Startup Sounds then release. See if that error is still there. If you already tried this sorry.

OP
M
Reaction score
already tried

Thanks for your advice.

Already tried resetting the pram several million times but to no avail.

I'm really stuck.

Had to buy a new firewire audio interface in the meantime as I cannot do any recordings via mbox2 (usb powered) until my Imac is shipped back here from italy (hoping they will not destroy it)

My poor macbook......

Thanks anyway

OP
M
Reaction score
now it actually looks as if the bluetooth starts playing up as well, and correct me if I'm wrong, it is connected to the same usb hub...?????

Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I'm not sure if this is entirely related, and if you have no other issues, I'd be surprised if this is the case, but there's a slight possibility it's a logic board issue. I had some of the same symptoms (USB port issues) about a month or so before my logic board came crashing down.
Like I said, it's pretty long odds that that's the issue, but just a thought...

Good luck.

OP
M
Reaction score
I really hope not. The logic board is expensive and given the situation I'd rather buy a new one and keep this a spare.
I've already spent so much money on upgrading memory, hard disk, fixing microphone.
It's funny that all the probs have surfaced straight after the warranty expired.
never had a problem with my intel Imac always works.
I'll try and re-install osx snow leopard as soon as I receive my firewire external hard drive and after performing a back up.
Hopefully it'll sort something out.
Thanks for your advice anyway.
In the mean time if anyone could come up with some other solution it'd be very muc appreciated.

OP
M
Reaction score
I actually installed xcode and probed the usb ports via usb app. and this is the report.

Looks as if all is working ok.
but still nothing happens if I plug usb devices.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX is installed? I am starting to think it might be something wrong in the OS and not the hardware judging from the results of your tests.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.