Questions about a Power Mac G4

Reaction score
I was wondering if the latest apple wired keyboard is compatible with the Powermac g4?
I know the powermac h4 only hhas usb 1.1 but I was wondering if it still works with 1.1? Also im going to be getting a PCI card with 4 usb 2.0 so will the keyboard work?

Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It works fine with any G4, and is compatible with USB 1.1. You do however have to be running Tiger, or later, and you have not provided your operating system.

OP
$
Reaction score
How well will iMovie work on a powermac g4?

So im getting a powermac g4 with 800mhz, 1.5gb of ram and a 128gb Hard drive.
Im going to use leopard assist to put leopard on it but was wondering how well iMovie would work. Im getting leopard 10.5.5 so im not sure which iMovie comes with it (im thinking 08 or 09).
How well will iMovie run?

Thx
$BoomBoom$ :D

Reaction score
I don't think Leopard will run on your system, as it requires at least 867 MHz to install.

That being said, iMovie '09 performs a check to determine the capacity and performance abilities of your Mac, and I don't think iMovie '09 will be able to run on it.

You should of course get a second opinion on this matter, because I may be wrong... but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Hope this helps...:)

OP
$
Reaction score
I don't think Leopard will run on your system, as it requires at least 867 MHz to install.

That being said, iMovie '09 performs a check to determine the capacity and performance abilities of your Mac, and I don't think iMovie '09 will be able to run on it.

You should of course get a second opinion on this matter, because I may be wrong... but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Hope this helps...:)

Yes it doesn't.
You must of missed it but im gonna use leopard assist. It tricks the installation to think that it has the right requirements when it really doesn't.
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
You don't have the minimum requirements (At least G4 with 867Ghz) for Leopard will require "LeopardAssist" application to install. iMovie '08 probably won't even install because it requires at least a G5. '06 (iMovie HD) will be the latest version you can install without hassles or modification on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

OP
$
Reaction score
You don't have the minimum requirements (At least G4 with 867Ghz) for Leopard will require "LeopardAssist" application to install. iMovie '08 probably won't even install because it requires at least a G5. '06 (iMovie HD) will be the latest version you can install without hassles or modification on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

Thanks.
its my only mac so I wanted to use iMovie 09 but I can wait like 3 years til i get enough money to buy new mac.
Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So im getting a powermac g4 with 800mhz, 1.5gb of ram and a 128gb Hard drive.
Im going to use leopard assist to put leopard on it but was wondering how well iMovie would work. Im getting leopard 10.5.5 so im not sure which iMovie comes with it (im thinking 08 or 09).
How well will iMovie run?

Thx
$BoomBoom$ :D

Just so you know...iMovie is not part of the Leopard OS install. iMovie is part of iLife...and if you don't have an iLife install disk...then you need to purchase iLife as well.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
$
Reaction score
How can I make my powermac g4 modern?

Im getting a powermac g4 with 80mhz, 80Gb Hard Drive and 1.5 gb of ram. This is my only mac so I want to make it the most modern I can. Since it only have 80mhz which is just below the requirements for leopard I decided that I would use leopard assist to by pass the requirements. Im planning on installing iMovie and maybe iLife 06 if I can find a copy. What else can I do to make it mroe modern. I know it can't play youtube videos well which sucks since im getting a nice 24inch+ monitor for it but I guess i'll have to attach my laptop to it when I want to watch movies and such.

What else can I do to it?
How about software?
What would you do to it?
:D
Thx
$BoomBoom$

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why you're so determined in using Leopard on a machine that is just too slow to run it, more than having a nice G4 with Panther or Tiger that will run great.

Apple did not set that parameter for nothing, you know.

On top of that you want to run applications that are just too demanding for your processor, so I think you'll throw it all off in about a week or so anyway.

If you want to have a nice looking Mac, which runs nice, you should stick to Panther or Tiger, and connect a cool display to it and you'll be fine.

Regards

PS the mods don't take nicely to crossposting either, I'm sure you already have opened a thread asking almost the same question.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This computer is like 8 years old. It will never be a "modern" computer...it's CPU & GPU are slow by today's standards...and that 24" monitor you're getting for it is probably worth more than the computer.

This computer is fine for most internet surfing (not YouTube like you mentioned), good for e-mail, good for older games, Microsoft Office, etc....and Tiger (OS 10.4) is probably the best OS for it.

Enjoy it...but realize that it does have it's limitations.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would look to sell it and buy a later, much later, machine.

OP
$
Reaction score
Monitor isn't working with powermac g4?

I have a old apple crt monitor that came with my powermac g3. I got a powermac g4 and it was a working fine on the monitor. Then it froze and I had to restart it. Now the little power button on the monitor is orange. All the wires are connected properly. It works fine with my laptop.
Im planning on upgrading ym monitor so whats wrong?

Thx
$BoomBoom$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not good news I am afraid. The orange power button usually indicates the capacitors are having problems powering up the cathode ray tube. CRT monitors are pretty old, about ten years or so, and not worth spending money on having repaired alas.

OP
$
Reaction score
Not good news I am afraid. The orange power button usually indicates the capacitors are having problems powering up the cathode ray tube. CRT monitors are pretty old, about ten years or so, and not worth spending money on having repaired alas.

Thanks. I figured out the problem myself. It was that the video card an pci slot needed to get cleaned. It was dusty and such. So I took it out and blew inside and out it back in and it works again!
Thx

OP
$
Reaction score
Why is my powermac g4 turning on by itself?

Well I got a new powermac g4. I shut it off when I go to bed but when I wake up its turned on. No one in my family touches it so im really wondering whats wrong.
Is there maybe a setting the other guy had on that it turns on a a certain time?

Thx
$BoomBoom$

Reaction score
Have you looked into System Preferences>energy saver>schedule? Maybe it's set up to start itself, or resetting the PMU might help.

The PMU (Power Management Unit) is a microcontroller chip that controls all power functions for the computer. The PMU is a computer within a computer. It has memory, software, firmware, I/O, two crystals, and a CPU. Its functions is to:

-Tell the computer to turn on, turn off, sleep, wake, idle, etc.
-Manage system resets from various commands.
-Maintain parameter RAM (PRAM).
-Manage the real-time clock.

1. Disconnect the power cord and check the battery in the battery holder (BT1). The battery should read 3.3 V to 3.7 V. If the battery is bad, replace the battery, wait ten seconds, and then reset the PMU (refer to the next step). If the battery is good, go to the next step.
2. Press the PMU reset switch (S1) once on the logic board. Do not press the PMU reset switch a second time because it could stop the PMU chip from responding.

3. Wait ten seconds before connecting the power cord and turning the computer on. If the computer does not turn on, there is something else wrong with the computer.

This entire procedure resets the computer's PRAM. Be sure to reset the computer's time, date, and other system parameter settings.

Good luck $BoomBoom$ ;D

OP
$
Reaction score
Why isn't me powermac g4 recongnizing my second internal HD?

Well I have a powermac g4 which probably most of you know about by now since i've posted many questions about it.
I have the main internal HD plugged in which is a 80gb HD and then I have my slave internal HD which is 160gb. I know that the powermac g4 can only read 128gb unless I get a third party product but I was wondering why it's not reading the second HD?
It's a dual IDE cable and it's in good condition. Also I formatted it for a mac before putting it in.
Thx

Reaction score
Well I have a powermac g4 which probably most of you know about by now since i've posted many questions about it.
I have the main internal HD plugged in which is a 80gb HD and then I have my slave internal HD which is 160gb. I know that the powermac g4 can only read 128gb unless I get a third party product but I was wondering why it's not reading the second HD?
It's a dual IDE cable and it's in good condition. Also I formatted it for a mac before putting it in.
Thx

You seem to know about master/slave. You did set the jumper to slave.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.