System Preferences won't work...

Reaction score
just installed Snow Leopard and i tried to open my System Preferences application and it says "You can not use this version of the applications System Preferences with this version of Mac OS X. System Preferences version 5.2"

what do I do with that? I updated my system after the install and everything and i can't seem to find a system preference's update mirror any where.

please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Did you use a retail Snow Leopard DVD?

Reaction score
just installed Snow Leopard and i tried to open my System Preferences application and it says "You can not use this version of the applications System Preferences with this version of Mac OS X. System Preferences version 5.2"

what do I do with that? I updated my system after the install and everything and i can't seem to find a system preference's update mirror any where.

please help

I had the same issue after I installed Snow Leopard. What I did before when I ran on Leopard was that I dragged my System Preferences onto a folder in my stacks without an alias, and as a result the System Preferences did not work in Snow Leopard. If I remember correctly, you should find it in your Applications folder, although they look pretty much the same. Drag System Preferences off your dock and then drag the System Preferences you find in the application back. That one should work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
System Preference panels in Snow Leopard are 64 bit. Any application that installs a System Preference panel that is not compatible will not be allowed to run. Others that are 32 bit and compatible, cause System Preferences to close and open again in 32 bit in order to run the panel.

Your System Preference panel application is not compatible. Check to see if the publisher has an updated version for Snow Leopard.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.