Why does Safari take so long to load a web page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 core Mac Pro, 21.5" iMac, 13" Macbook Pro, iPhone 4
Why does Safari take so long to load a web page?

When I type a ULR into Safari it sits there for what seems like ages before the page starts to download. I don't get this problem with Firefox. What's happening? Isn't Safari supposed to be the worlds fastest browser?

I would prefer to use Safari because of the better OS integration but its so slow!

Any one else having the same problem?

Reaction score
It's working fine for me. There are a few things you can do. You could reset Safari, or clear its caches and start over. If not, repair disk permissions and try again.

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 core Mac Pro, 21.5" iMac, 13" Macbook Pro, iPhone 4
It's working fine for me. There are a few things you can do. You could reset Safari, or clear its caches and start over. If not, repair disk permissions and try again.

It's strange, it's always been the same for me.
I have a Mac Pro in the studio I own and safari is slow on that. I've just bought one of the new iMacs for home and the same again! I love the browser itself but it just seems to hang around for ages before finding the web page!
Wish I could sort it out.

Reaction score
That's strange! But then again, if you are already comfortable with FireFox, what happens when you use that on your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Something that *might* be affecting Safari's performance is the adblock function, assuming you're using it. I know that Camino (my preferred browser) sometimes 'hangs' while all the ad servers try to impose cookie data, but the delay is several seconds at most, much of the time. Occasionally I have to quit Camino and try again.

As suggested, clearing the cache often improves browser performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.