MBP 13" CD/DVD Drive unsettling noise

Reaction score
My new MBP 13 is a dream come true...buuuuut when I slide a disc into the disc drive, it makes harsh, less than graceful sounds.

she runs flawlessly and silently, it's only when the disc is inserted and ejected it just sounds "rough" and not elegant as I would expect.

hard to explain, but it's the sound of gears moving, not anything "crunching". It is accepting the disc smoothly but I think it does so too "loud". it just seems "un-mac like" if that makes sense.

the motion is smooth, just the sound that is unsettling.

anyone else have this, is it normal, is it just the way it is and I'm over-reacting, or should the insertion and ejection be silent and elegant?

Thank you

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Welcome to the sound of slot load drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Unless you see damage of the disc before and after inserting from the drive. Nothing to be alarmed about!

Reaction score
Be SUPER careful about DVD disk that have paper ables on them.
Otherwise, you will discover there is no "hard eject" button the MBP either.
I had to take mine apart three times before I just stopped inserting DVDs with labels into mine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.