Can't back up my Install Disks

Ira

Reaction score
Hello.

After decades on PCs, I've finally done it. I've got a slightly used Macbook White that I love. I have the two install disks for 10.4. I want to make backups of them, but I'm not getting anywhere.

The procedure I read was straightforward. Essentially, use the disk utility to make an image of disk 1 and save it on the hard drive. Then use the disk utility to burn the image onto a dvd.

The image procedure went fine - the image is about 4.2 gigs. However, when I try to burn the disk, I get an error message telling me the that disk is too small. Since the disk is 4.7 gigs, I don't understand what the complaint is.

I can copy the image to the disk, but this won't be bootable. I know that other people have had this problem, but I still can't find an answer.

So, I'd be really appreciative if somebody could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I did try to use some shareware cloning software, but it will not go to a DVD. I did attach an external usb drive and restore the image to that. However, I couldn't get it to boot. As a matter of fact, I couldn't even see the external drive until I ran Cocktail, cleaned all the caches, and rebooted.

So, anybody know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
Ira

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Just for fun did you try a 8.4GB disc? And possibly put both discs on one dvd..

On the other hand. I don't totally get the idea of backing up dvds, its not like they can fail. Just put your dvd's in a safe place (fireproof safe, etc) and there will be no need to go to a back up

OP
I

Ira

Reaction score
I don't think that this machine supports the double-density drives. I checked the 'About this computer' information, and it just shows a normal DVD support.

As far as the back up of the originals goes, maybe it's just me, but I've had them fail just when I needed them for a restore. At least with a back up set, I've got one more try before I'm out of options.

Thanks for the quick response.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're probably going to need 2X media in order to burn a 4.2 GB image. Remember that there is overhead with any burn. And one that size might exceed the capacity of the disk. (The overhead includes the TOC and meta data.)

Regards.

OP
I

Ira

Reaction score
Regarding the need for double density burning - I don't think that the DVD writer in the Macbook White is capable of burning double density disks.

I still don't understand why the 4.2 gig image won't fit. I can't imagine that the overhead for system information like boot sectors and directories make up the shortfall. I can copy the entire image file to the DVD as a file which also would need a directory.

I did see that the Disk Utility thinks that the blank disk is smaller than it actually is - by several hundred megs. However the disk is labeled as 4.7 gigs and the image is 4.2 on the disk. That's a lot of difference.

I'm thinking of mounting the image and removing unnecessary files from it. Then making a new, smaller image. Is that reasonable?

I'm also thinking of just figuring out how to boot from an external enclosure. I've got many old 20 and 40 gig laptop drives sitting around. That's next weekends project - perhaps.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Current whitebook specs.

#

8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/
CD-RW)

Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW

Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, and DVD+RW; 24x CD

Yep, double layer.. last years model, I believe, was the same

OP
I

Ira

Reaction score
My DVD can only make single layer disks. So, still, how do I back up my install disk if it won't fit? I still can't see why a disk image that is 4.2 gigs won't fit on an empty 4.7 gig disk. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Current whitebook specs.

#

8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/
CD-RW)

Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW

Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, and DVD+RW; 24x CD

Yep, double layer.. last years model, I believe, was the same
His must be pretty old, since it said the discs were for 10.4.

Frankly, I would stop wasting time trying to clone the old discs, and just buy a nice 10.6 Box Set. A new set of discs and a supported OS all at the same time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.