major battery issues

Reaction score
i'm afraid that my macbook pro has lost a very significant amount of battery life. i when i take it out of a full charge, i only have just over 3 hours of life, and thats with no sound, and half lit screen. then once i open a few apps it drops to mid 2 hours. Im worried that there is something wrong with the battery. ive done apple's tips for optimizing battery (charge, fully drain, fully recharge) and it didnt work. but then i looked at the widget that has specs on your computer, and found that i when my computer is "charged" (and green light), i am only at 85% battery power.

what is going on? thanks guys! also, i still have the apple care still active so would i be able to get it fixed if i cant do so myself? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
How about the SMC - have u tried resetting that here

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i'm afraid that my macbook pro has lost a very significant amount of battery life. i when i take it out of a full charge, i only have just over 3 hours of life, and thats with no sound, and half lit screen. then once i open a few apps it drops to mid 2 hours. Im worried that there is something wrong with the battery. ive done apple's tips for optimizing battery (charge, fully drain, fully recharge) and it didnt work. but then i looked at the widget that has specs on your computer, and found that i when my computer is "charged" (and green light), i am only at 85% battery power.

what is going on? thanks guys! also, i still have the apple care still active so would i be able to get it fixed if i cant do so myself? thanks

How old is your MacBook Pro & battery?

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Go get the free Coconut Battery app (coconutBattery 2.6.5 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker) and tell us what it reports back on your battery.

Current Battery Charge: 4726 mAH
Maximum Battery Charge: 4726 mAH
-100%

Current Battery Capacity: 4726 mAH
Original Battey Capacity: 5500 mAH
-85%

Addition info:

Battery-Loadcycles: 141
Age of your mac: 14 months
Charger connected: Yes
Battery is charging: No

**at the green light

-what do i make of this? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
That is strange. You can do what Collin Bl suggest which is resetting the SMC (Shutdown, plug in power adapter, press (left) Shift-Control-Option along with the power button, wait for at least 5 seconds, and finally turn the computer back on.

You may want to calibrate the battery as well, if you haven't done so. This will reset the battery's sensor and "correctly" display the current status of the battery's condition 1. Charge battery until green light is on
2. Take off the power adapter and start draining the battery
3. Once you get the "low battery" warning, save your work and shut down
4. Leave your computer off for at least 4 hours (to ensure ALL of the battery charge is drained)
5. Plug back in the power adapter and start charging (I believe according to Apple, it is better NOT to use the computer while charging during this step).

Good luck and let us know!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is nothing "wrong" with the battery. It's been used for the last 14 months (or less) and you probably have never calibrated it (or not very often).

Calibrate it per the following: Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance
Your directions are listed in the second section.

Do it about once a week for the next month. This should bring back some of the batteries 'Capacity'. Mine was sitting at 70% of original a month ago. After 3 calibrations, it is now back up to 95% of original.

Then change to once a month to keep your battery running along at it's maximum potential.

OP
B
Reaction score
There is nothing "wrong" with the battery. It's been used for the last 14 months (or less) and you probably have never calibrated it (or not very often).

Calibrate it per the following: Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance
Your directions are listed in the second section.

Do it about once a week for the next month. This should bring back some of the batteries 'Capacity'. Mine was sitting at 70% of original a month ago. After 3 calibrations, it is now back up to 95% of original.

Then change to once a month to keep your battery running along at it's maximum potential.

yea i never knew about the calibration thing till the other week. im gonna do what you said about doing it more often until it starts going up then just do it to maintain.

is that basically the only option then? is resetting your SMC harmful to your computer or anything? like ruining your warranty or anything?

and what are these "cycles"? is like a full charge or something? i've read that i dont think i should have it plugged in all the time when it's fully charged, but should i not do full charges or something?
sorry for all the questions! thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.