Wirelessly print without affecting Fios

Reaction score
Hello. I have Fios for my television and internet, and they used all of their own equipment to hook these services up. I had been using an Airport Extreme Base Station but the Fios techs said they couldn't hook up my Fios with this base station, so it's been sitting unused for almost a year. However, I desperately miss being able to print wirelessly!!!

So...I am wondering if there is a way to use my Airport Extreme Base Station to print wirelessly from my MacBook Pro and my MacBook. I currently use an HP C4480 printer, but also have a HP Deskjet 3820 and a HP Deskjet 6940 that I could use. I don't want to have to purchase a new printer (I own three!) and I would love to not have to purchase some additional hardware, cables, etc. since I have the Airport Extreme Base Station. Most importantly, I do NOT want to mess with my Fios in any way, and although I have read about the ways in which one could possibly configure the AEBS to work with Fios, it is WAYYY too complicated for a computer-illiterate person like me. I am looking for a SIMPLE way to print wirelessly, preferably without purchasing anything new!

Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You've pretty much eliminated any way to get wireless printing working with the requirements you stated in your post. You either have to configure your AEBS to work in conjunction with the FIOS equipment or use your Verizon ActionTec or Westell router to provide the wireless signal.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I figured. I am assuming my only other option is to purchase a wireless printer, which I very well may do. I am not comfortable or qualified to configure my AEBS to work with Fios and if I mess it up I'll be without Internet until someone can fix it, which is not an option in my line of work.

Thanks again!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Why not set up a separate network connection in the Network Preferences pane. The second connection would include the AEBS and whatever printers you want to use. Select that connection when you want to print then select your regular connection when don't. Minor inconvenience not having Net for the few minutes it takes to print but otherwise easy to deal with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Not familiar with FIOS but why can't you use the AEBS set up in DMZ behind their modem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
He can, but he has already mentioned that he doesn't want to use the AEBS with the Verizon FIOS equipment.

FIOS = Fiber Optic Service. (definitely proprietary)

Actually, the suggestion given by Slydude is a very good one and should work.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.