buying a flash web design, what do I need to ad my info and photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 10.5.6, 4 gig several ImacsG4's 640kb/10.3.9 and an Ibook G4/Tiger
I have 1and1 web space and a domain name, and can build and FTP my iWeb site to it but thats the limit of my web skills.

I would like to buy a site like this bludomain one (feel free to recommend other/better places to buy one)
BluDomain, BluDomainhosting, Bluedomain, photography websites

A friend uses one of there sites but hosts on Blu and uses there on line tools to ad his photos and text, I figure if I buy it outright to host on 1and1 I will need to ad my own info with a web application.

What program would I need to edit it with my info and images once I buy it for hosting on 1and1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Nice looking site...

Here's what I would recommend for ya...

Take a look over Create a Free Website , Free Flash Website Builder at Wix.com . It's a simple editing tool for flash sites, and as I understand it for the most part free...might be a paid version with better options or something. They have some good looking templates and it makes it a lot easier to work with than doing it all on your own.

Also if you simply google "website templates" or "flash website templates" you'll get a ton of results back with sites that sell awesome looking templates. I didn't want to include any of the urls here cause they're so many and they're virtually the same.

On the hosting...

I've been building and designing sites not just for my business, but for my clients as well (I run a marketing & media firm) and after years of using different hosting providers I only stick to these guys: Dedicated Servers | Managed Dedicated Servers | Web Hosting | VPS | Liquid Web (that's not an affiliate link or anything.

They're a bit more than the usual guys at $14.95 for basic hosting, but omg do I love them. They're based in Michigan and all their support is very knowledgeable, english speaking, and on tap 24/7. You're rarely ever on hold, you can reach live humans in sales, tech support or anything 24/7 and I've NEVER had a server go down on me in the 2 years I've used them. And I host A LOT of sites with them with many different levels of their service. VERY VERY much worth the few dollars extra per month to go with them.

As for what software to use to edit and post up a custom flash site...well I'm all for Dreamweaver, I've used it for years and it's ability seems endless, but there is a learning curve and you do have to know how to properly use it. That's why I recommend something like wix.com

They're Cpanel is also fantastic use in my opinion.

Either way, good luck!

OP
RayLee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much, I am playing around with Wix.com and think I will be able to make a site that would work but is there any way to get the site I create on my 1&1 space (I have had it a couple years but only use it to FTP images)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like with wix.com you have to upgrade to a premium account to move it to your own hosting and domain. This is typically how it always is with the free wysiwug online editor sites. Thankfully though, it's almost always pretty cheap. Usually either a yearly fee or very small monthly fee. If wix works for you than it's much cheaper and easier than getting something done by pros or by having to buy a premium flash template for like $65+.

I assume once you upgrade you'll have all the information you need to transfer your site to your domain through ftp and all that.

Let me know how it goes!

OP
RayLee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again for the help, I am trying to play around and learn a little bit so I know what I want and can better explain it when I do hire a pro to build it.

I like the WIX page but designing with the on line tools was rather slow, I know Dreamweaver and the like would be way over my head, anything easier than the pro web applications to get my feet wet? ...Like Adobe Elements vs. Photoshop CS4

I played around with iWeb for a few hours and came up with this
http://www.thesbimage.com

Going to search for info on how to make the front cover shot cycle through a few images with transitions, would like a contact form not just an email hot link, and am trying to get some type of galleries I like (I am going to buy the Banana license and do more experimenting with them for the galleries)

Ray

It looks like with wix.com you have to upgrade to a premium account to move it to your own hosting and domain. This is typically how it always is with the free wysiwug online editor sites. Thankfully though, it's almost always pretty cheap. Usually either a yearly fee or very small monthly fee. If wix works for you than it's much cheaper and easier than getting something done by pros or by having to buy a premium flash template for like $65+.

I assume once you upgrade you'll have all the information you need to transfer your site to your domain through ftp and all that.

Let me know how it goes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Ray,

Sorry for getting back the post so late, honestly I forgot that I even posted here! :)

In terms of comparing dreamweaver to elements that's honestly where my knowledge stops. I don't know either software all too well and primarly just use dreamweaver. Most of the flash and graphics that I need designed personally or for my company are handled by my partner.

That's a nice looking site though that you were able to make through iweb. VERY impressive so far!

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.