Ancient history: looking for a driver for a SCSI magneto-optical drive

Reaction score
I have a few old Macs, one of which is a SCSI-based G3 laptop. I also have lots of old data on 128 MB removable magneto-optical disks. I have two old APS MO disk drives but have been unable to get them to work.

The disk utility that came with the drives can see them, but is unable to mount the disks on the desktop. I assume that I am lacking the appropriate driver. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I have a few old Macs, one of which is a SCSI-based G3 laptop. I also have lots of old data on 128 MB removable magneto-optical disks. I have two old APS MO disk drives but have been unable to get them to work.

The disk utility that came with the drives can see them, but is unable to mount the disks on the desktop. I assume that I am lacking the appropriate driver. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

There are issues wth G3 laptops and SCSI...it takes a special cable. I have a 5300 laptop that I have never been able to mount any thing SCSI to the desktop...It will do SCSI target mode and thats it. If you use OS9....I use Silverlinings Pro 6.1 by LaCie. It works on my HP Shurestore Optical 2600.

The driver may be in this package LaCie - External Hard Drives, DVD±RW Drives, Monitors

After you download it see if its in a folder by its self ...just trash the firmware stuff.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hmmm. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll try some other cables. I might be able to find another SCSI-based Mac. And I will try another cable or two. I'm sure I used this Mac in the past, but probably when it was running OS 8...

I'll also try to see if the driver is in the LaCie package you mention.

Reaction score
Hmmm. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll try some other cables. I might be able to find another SCSI-based Mac. And I will try another cable or two. I'm sure I used this Mac in the past, but probably when it was running OS 8...

I'll also try to see if the driver is in the LaCie package you mention.

If you have the HDI-30 connector on the powerbook...the cable has 29 pins on the HDI side and 50 pin male on the other and is light gray. The SCSI target mode cable is dark gray and HDI-30 pin with 30 pins and 50 pin female.

OP
S
Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED. Thanks for the tips. The cable was an important variable. And then I used an OLDER version of the APS drive utility (ver 2.7.4). The APS PowerTools 3.02 or the LaCie Silverlining 6.5.8 did not work. The older disk utility lets you do several things that are usually bad (like forcibly replacing the driver). Anyway, only one of my APS machines was able to mount the MO disks on the desktop.

Now I have to transfer the data from the G3 laptop to another platform. Unfortunately, it does not have a USB or a CD-writer... Cheers, and thanks again.

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED. Thanks for the tips. The cable was an important variable. And then I used an OLDER version of the APS drive utility (ver 2.7.4). The APS PowerTools 3.02 or the LaCie Silverlining 6.5.8 did not work. The older disk utility lets you do several things that are usually bad (like forcibly replacing the driver). Anyway, only one of my APS machines was able to mount the MO disks on the desktop.

Now I have to transfer the data from the G3 laptop to another platform. Unfortunately, it does not have a USB or a CD-writer... Cheers, and thanks again.

Hi - I have the same APS 128 MB Magneto Optical drive - and I can't find the driver you mention anywhere. APS drive utility (ver 2.7.4) Can you make it available - Please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.