Apple support, Not that supportive.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I already posted this over at the apple support forums, but there hasn't been anybody willing/able to help. I also can't find an email address on the apple support website ( and didn't those ads go on about excellent customer service?)

I thought the experts here might be slightly more helpful.

Thanks a lot guys:

Ok, so for the past few days I've been having a lot of problems with my macbook. I don't recall updating it, or downloading anything suspicious around the time it began to act up.

I suppose I should just list the problems below. They all started at once.

When Starting up iweb, I get a dialogue box saying that it can't open file "null"
if I close it up and start it again, it all works fine, but this happens every time I turn on the mac.

Sometimes, when I choose itunes from the dock, it tells me that itunes cannot be found. If I go into the music folder in finder, it's right there, and if I click on it there, it starts up.

Both of these are just (very annoying) inconveniences, but the next two issues are seriously problematic.

My mac will no longer install things. It seems like the installer program has gone missing. If I double click on a file to install it, mac opens up disc utility, and even through that, I can see the exact file needed to install it, but when I click on that it asks me to select the program I want to use.

also, when I click the "software update..." button in the apple menu, nothing happens. I updated to the most recent version through system preferences after the problems started to see if it would help, but it didn't help at all.

My warranty is up in about two months, so I'd very much like to get this sorted, an if I need a replacement, to get one before that runs out!

Thanks a lot guys.

Reaction score
If you're told iTunes cannot be found, you should actually look for it in the applications folder, not the music folder, this is where the music is stored.

But looking at the issues you're having, I would back-up any important files you have, and reinstall your OS.
Or take it in, and really firmly but gently advize them to help you, otherwise you'll take other steps.

OP
L
Reaction score

I can't find a contact email on that page or any page that it links to. Not for general problems anyway (other than for mobileme, itunes or quicktime issues)

I'm probably just blind :[

Sur3mac said:
If you're told iTunes cannot be found, you should actually look for it in the applications folder, not the music folder, this is where the music is stored.

But looking at the issues you're having, I would back-up any important files you have, and reinstall your OS.
Or take it in, and really firmly but gently advize them to help you, otherwise you'll take other steps.

Yeah, I meant the applications folder. There aren't any apple stores in Ireland, and I've started backing stuff up. I think I'll just have to try re-installing. I hope that sorts the problems.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd try booting from your original disk first (while holding C) - In the Utilities menu open Disk Utility and run a repair disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
For the Installer thing - go to /System/Library/CoreServices and see if the Installer is somewhere in that folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.