• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't play 2 DVDs from wedding

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have been looking but have not found any help with my problem. Last summer, we went to europe for my cousins wedding. The wedding photographer recorded the wedding and put it on 2 dvds. The only problem is that I can't get them to play on any dvd player. The only thing that works is by playing each .vob file separately. Is there something downloadable that would let me rewrite this dvd so that it can play on a regular dvd player? I'm not much of a movie file expert, so the answer might even be real simple. This problem has been bugging me for a year now and I still haven't found a solution... These are the files on the first dvd
Screen shot 2009-11-21 at 10.44.24 PM.png
It's pretty much the same on the second dvd.
Please...I beg you...help me out:( I had the best time of my life there, and I can't even have fun watching it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Download and install the free VLC media player. If it won't play those DVDs probably nothing will.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
VLC is what I'm using right now, but you have to pick each file at a time to watch...you can't just go from the beginning to the end of the dvd. I want to be able to watch these dvd's on my tv on a regular dvd player, not just on a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
well, with the VOBs and such, you can attempt to recreate the dvd (ie: with Toast or Burn if it will create a dvd from an existing set of VOB files). The problem may lie in the way they were originally authored, there may be no proper linking to start playing the first chapter of the first track, or the menu.

I normally don't attempt to author with VOBs only, I've only had to do it on the windows side once, and that was while using Nero (which is why I'm thinking it may be possible to do it with Toast, since toast is by Nero). But take a look at burn and see if it would allow you to recreate the DVD. I'd say create a .img file instead of actually burning a DVD, no point in wasting discs if they won't play - make the .img file, mount it, then attempt to play the mounted .img with DVD Player in osx and see what happens, if it works there, then actually burn the disc.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thanks for that tip. I was actually thinking that there might be some kind of file missing to start the dvd, but figured that I must be wrong since this guy is supposed to be a pro... I will give it a try tomorrow morning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Perhaps this is a PAL issue. Europe uses PAL instead of NTSC. US players tend not to be able to read PAL discs.

I'd try Handbrake on the discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.