Advantage to iMac using BOTH Ethernet and Airport?

Reaction score
I have an early 2008 iMac, which is able to connect to my router using both an ethernet cable and Airport at the same time. iStat reports both connections up but that data is flowing only though ethernet. Is there a way to make the Mac use both? Is there any advantage to doing so? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Not a good idea. If you can use Ethernet that would be your best bet. If you need to use wireless then go ahead and use wireless. Don't use both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I have my MBP hard wired to my Airport Extreme wireless router while it's sitting on my desk. I can't help but believe that the wired connection is inherently safer than the wireless connection. I have encryption enabled and my wireless network is password protected. Still, for every day, all day connectivity I prefer the hard wired connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Wired is safer than wireless. However, it doesn't matter if you are wired and still have the wireless turned on in the AirPort Extreme. That means someone can hop on your network and get to your machines regardless of whether or not you are using wired or wireless. Bottom line is this - whichever one you choose you need to practice safe computing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
i feel that page loads with ethernet are marginally faster than 802.11n wireless and heaps faster than 802.11g so even though i have 11n i tend to use ethernet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.