New RAM for Macbook 6.1

Reaction score
Hey guys I just made the switch from PC to Mac with the purchase of the new Macbook 6.1. I was looking to upgrade my ram from the 2 GB to 4. I checked the specs of the MB and this one is telling me that there are two 1 GB sticks with DDR3 ram.

So I was just curious as to where you guys purchase your DDR3 ram for the MB. Or if that's even necessary and just get DDR2. Also is there really any difference in the types of ram you buy? Compared to each manufacturer? Thank you for any input and all the help you guys provide for me and everyone else! Take care.

Reaction score
1) Do not buy from Apple, because they overcharge their RAM. We usually buy it from third-party sellers, like RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com or Amazon.com.

2) I am not sure about DDR3 versus DDR2. Somebody else can probably answer that better than me.

3) To my knowledge, you cannot just buy any RAM from any manufacturer and slot it into your Macbook. The safest way to do so is to go to the Crucial.com website, and they will tell you what RAM are compatible with your Macbook, based on your model.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply. I'll go check those out and watch for prices. Thanks again.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Can't use DDR2 RAM. It has different pins and it wont fit.

Check out Crucial, or Newegg.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.