Darker colours to reduce eye strain

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in Unibody Macbook Pro Rev. F (2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM)
The default Mac set up uses a lot of bright, light colours. This can play havoc with my eyes after a couple of hours.

I've tried a number of things, such as turning the screen brightness down, taking regular breaks, etc. I tried to change the desktop theme for a darker one using Magnifique but that didn't work properly for some reason and the default Mac colours came back after restart.

I've noticed that inverting the screen colours through System Preferences (and by using ctrl-alt-cmd-8) is brilliant - text is much easier to read with white on black rather than black on white. Only problem with this method, of course, is that ALL colours are inverted - including icons and pictures.

Is there a way of inverting the Mac desktop colours without affecting graphics and photos?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Try calibrating your display. (It's in System Preferences. Search for it.)

Also try turning on a lamp or two. Your eyes don't work too well when they're staring directly at the brightest thing in the room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
And I would strongly recommend uninstalling Magnifique using it's uninstaller package, or an application like AppCleaner or AppZapper to remove it before it starts playing havoc with your mac.
This is just my opinion, and there are those who may disagree with me, but I have read too many horror stories about it that software.

Reaction score
Inverted colours

Hello

I am new to this forum and new to the Mac platform. I am partially sighted and I switched from Windows, on which I used "High Contrast" feature(Ctrl+Alt+PrintScreen) which did exactly the same as inverted colours on Mac but kept images and videos with their original colours without making them look negative. There isnt any way of changing that on Snow Leapord but I am sure there must be a third party application which allows me to do that? Exactly as the person who started the post pointed out, something that keeps original colours. The normal scheme really hurts my eyes after just one hour of use with a 15 minute break in the middle. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.