Ibook OSX cannot connect to internet (dns issues)

Reaction score
Hi all,

first of all,my regular machine is a pc so i'm troubleshooting someone elses lappy.

Its an ibook with OSX Version10.4.11

It cannot connect to a DSL router either via etherent or airport.

The setup in the router doesnt show it as connected/issued with a dhcp address.

I browsed to network utility>info and viewed the various interfaces i.e for the aircard and also the ethernet and they both show nonsensical ip addresses.

I did some research and found unix type commands to be issued via the termnial window to flush dns cache ??

I did that and it made no difference.

I suspect the lappy might have picked up these idiot ip's during a router resynch.

I need to flush them and then setup permannent dhcp ip's in the router for both interfaces..

So how do i clear the ip's?

thanks

jo

Hi Larry..guess what..i have the same problem..!

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...t-connect-internet-dns-issues.html#post947857

Cant connect using etherent either...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible the airport card in the iBook is having problems. The iBook is an older machine which has been around for awhile.

Before doing any further extensive trouble shooting, you might want to try to reset the router back to factory default (use the reset button - check manual) and start over. Just make sure you copy down any ISP proprietary settings before doing the reset. Set the router up to use PPPoE and DHCP.
You can either leave the DNS settings blank or use OpenDNS.

If the above doesn't help.....

Not being able to connect using ethernet is usually a sign of trouble either hardware related or improper setup. Was the iBook working OK before? Did the owner make any changes to his\her on line setup, either wireless or ethernet?

If you can navigate your way around in Tiger OS X, go to "System Preferences", Network, and check the settings. (don't bother with wireless until you get ethernet working)

Post back to this same thread and we can try to go from there.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi,,,

Since posting i have done further work...!

The lappy has worked fine until the last week or so when it seemed to have minor intermittent issues with connecting.

Today it decided it didnt want to connect via ethernet or airport.

The system is a netgear DG834GT ADSL router.

Other devices can connect via the router.

The router would not show the ibook as an attached device

Eventually in network> i had to setup both ethernet and airport connects as DHCP with manual and key in the manual addresses 192.168.0.4/5 which i had also allocated in the router menu against the mac addresses for both the ethernet and airport interfaces.

It now works..

So basically,it appears that when plugging in ethernet or turning on airport, the ibook refuses to pick up a DHCP allocated router resource.

It doesnt seem to be a router issue. Ive powered it off/reset it etc etc and it has worked previously on auto dhcp with the ibook and works fine with other pc type gear..

It seems like a software issue but i wonder what??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It doesnt seem to be a router issue. Ive powered it off/reset it etc etc and it has worked previously on auto dhcp with the ibook and works fine with other pc type gear.. It seems like a software issue but i wonder what??

Glad you got it working. However, you shouldn't have to go through all that trouble. DHCP "should" be automatic. If it flakes out again, try removing the connection entirely through System Preferences and start anew.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.