iTouch vs. PSP for 11 year old

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum, but this is the only website I truly trust for my tech questions!!!

I need some "parental advice" for Christmas!!

My 11 year old son has both a PSP and iTouch on his wish list, and obviously it's gonna be one or the other, not both!

He has said he would like to have the Touch more than the PSP, but when I asked him what he wanted one of these for the most, he said to "watch movies and play games" (he already has an iPod). If that is what he is wanting it for, then the PSP would seem to be the way to go.

My question: What other capabilities does the Touch have that an 11 year old would utilize? Internet and email aren't really an interest to him right now. That would leave gaming and movies as the only uses, and I think he may get bored with the games available on the Touch after a few months.

What would you recommend?

Thanks for the advice!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well if you do end up getting the PSP...you well also need to invest some money in a Pro Duo Memory stick in order to actually save videos and stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
If he already has the iPod I would go with the PSP system. The PSP Go has 16gb of flash built in with the capability of going to 32gb with an additional memory stick. I would go with the Go as the regular PSP does not come with as much flash storage out of the box. The Go is more expensive, but comparable to the iPod touch price. Also, with the PSP Go you download everything, no more UMD discs like on the traditional PSP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano Gen 1 2 GB | iPod Touch Gen 1 8 GB
I would go with the PSP Go!, mostly because he already has an iPod. That way he can download movies and games right from the Playstation Store to his PSP Go!, as long as there's wireless internet around. Plus, he can always convert music and movies to the format the PSP reads and watch them on the PSP. It's a bigger screen, longer battery life, and there are several nice accessories to extend that battery life too.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I looked into the PSP Go, and the reviews seem to criticize the download times when downloading via Wifi (we do not have any PC's in the house). Also, the memory limitations on the Go could end up being a problem (at least according to the reviews I read).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Another way to look at it is that you have the option to remove memory sticks from the PSP Go, and that is something that you cannot do on the iPod. You could essentially have many memory cards as his needs grow and far exceed even the 64gb touch. I download all the time from the Playstation store and have never had any trouble. If you are on a network with throttled bandwidth it could become an issue.

I personally think that the PSP is the better choice in this situation. He will have the best of both worlds for music and gaming. He already has an iPod and adding a PSP would be a great choice.

OP
S
Reaction score
Another way to look at it is that you have the option to remove memory sticks from the PSP Go, and that is something that you cannot do on the iPod. You could essentially have many memory cards as his needs grow and far exceed even the 64gb touch. I download all the time from the Playstation store and have never had any trouble. If you are on a network with throttled bandwidth it could become an issue.

I personally think that the PSP is the better choice in this situation. He will have the best of both worlds for music and gaming. He already has an iPod and adding a PSP would be a great choice.
Thanks!! You have not had any difficulties with Wifi downloading? How long does it take to download a game?

I have a LinksysWRT54G router, if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
The iPod touch would:

1) Replace his current iPod
2) Let him watch YouTube*
3) Let him browse the internet*
4) Sync his current iTunes lib easily (not that hard but not that easy for PSP), and keep it all in one program, rather than drag and drop or use PSP's media software.
5) Let him browse Google Maps
6) Download FREE and priced games* (there are some real good ones..there are more titles in the Games category than there are games for PSP. Period.)
7) Take notes on things (though not recommended for use in class..like he'll need it)
8) Check the weather for over a million cities nationally and internationally
9) Check stock quotes for over a million companies
10) Set calendar dates and reminders, and use them through iCal on Mac OS X
11) Set alarms, check the time in other time zones, set a timer, and keep track of time with a chrono graph

12) And there are 100,000 apps that duplicate some functions, add some functions that the stock iPod touch apps don't offer and some fun stuff.

*These can be blocked, using the parental control features:

Go to Settings--Restrictions--Turn Restrictions On--Set a Passcode--and set the things he can and cannot view. But it's up to you. I own a PSP, and don't use it anymore because it's impractical: few games that I like, the removable memory card is just not for me (and it's a Memory Stick Duo type), and it just lacks the PDA-style functionality that the iPod touch has.

But that's just it.

The PSP is a portable gaming device (there are more functions in the new Nintendo DSi that this sucker doesn't have) and the iPod touch is Apple's answer to the many Windows Mobile and Palm OS based PDA's out there (exactly as the iPhone is the next smartphone to what is already out there..plus it's easier to develop things for the iPhone OS- which by the way, gets better and better everyday..the PSP firmware just gets boring and boring..stuff that makes it more compatible with the PlayStation 3. The PSP would be perfect for him if he already has a PlayStation 3..but all I'm saying is..if he already has an iPod, he can readily use the iPod touch..and it's far easier using media software that syncs as smart as iTunes does versus the Media software that the PSP can use..just my opinion).

I'm sure that you know that iTunes keeps everything on the iPod touch in one program, versus hunting down everything and then dropping it in the Memory Stick. It's easier to me anyways. In any case..I find my battery life in my iPod touch far better than any PSP I've ever owned..the PSP Go! however I'm not familiar with. But there are FREE games for iPod touch, and few if any (again not so sure) for PSP Go!. It's your call. Your money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Thanks!! You have not had any difficulties with Wifi downloading? How long does it take to download a game?

I have a LinksysWRT54G router, if that makes any difference.

No issues at all with downloading. The games sizes vary, but the last one I downloaded here was SOCOM 2 and it was just a few minutes to get. I download all demos and games over wi-fi on my PS3 and X360 as well and never have any trouble there either.

The last post by Chris brings up some great points, but some of that may not interest an 11 year old. The iPod touch is a fantastic device and there are 3 in my house. We all love them and the things they do. Being a Mac owner makes it even better with my MobileMe subscription.

OP
S
Reaction score
The iPod touch would:

1) Replace his current iPod
2) Let him watch YouTube*
3) Let him browse the internet*
4) Sync his current iTunes lib easily (not that hard but not that easy for PSP), and keep it all in one program, rather than drag and drop or use PSP's media software.
5) Let him browse Google Maps
6) Download FREE and priced games* (there are some real good ones..there are more titles in the Games category than there are games for PSP. Period.)
7) Take notes on things (though not recommended for use in class..like he'll need it)
8) Check the weather for over a million cities nationally and internationally
9) Check stock quotes for over a million companies
10) Set calendar dates and reminders, and use them through iCal on Mac OS X
11) Set alarms, check the time in other time zones, set a timer, and keep track of time with a chrono graph

12) And there are 100,000 apps that duplicate some functions, add some functions that the stock iPod touch apps don't offer and some fun stuff.

*These can be blocked, using the parental control features:

Go to Settings--Restrictions--Turn Restrictions On--Set a Passcode--and set the things he can and cannot view. But it's up to you. I own a PSP, and don't use it anymore because it's impractical: few games that I like, the removable memory card is just not for me (and it's a Memory Stick Duo type), and it just lacks the PDA-style functionality that the iPod touch has.

But that's just it.

The PSP is a portable gaming device (there are more functions in the new Nintendo DSi that this sucker doesn't have) and the iPod touch is Apple's answer to the many Windows Mobile and Palm OS based PDA's out there (exactly as the iPhone is the next smartphone to what is already out there..plus it's easier to develop things for the iPhone OS- which by the way, gets better and better everyday..the PSP firmware just gets boring and boring..stuff that makes it more compatible with the PlayStation 3. The PSP would be perfect for him if he already has a PlayStation 3..but all I'm saying is..if he already has an iPod, he can readily use the iPod touch..and it's far easier using media software that syncs as smart as iTunes does versus the Media software that the PSP can use..just my opinion).

I'm sure that you know that iTunes keeps everything on the iPod touch in one program, versus hunting down everything and then dropping it in the Memory Stick. It's easier to me anyways. In any case..I find my battery life in my iPod touch far better than any PSP I've ever owned..the PSP Go! however I'm not familiar with. But there are FREE games for iPod touch, and few if any (again not so sure) for PSP Go!. It's your call. Your money.

Chris - great info and advice. Based on everything you have mentioned, I think he would like the Touch better. However, using your info, I will probably buy the DSi (I'll need to research that more) or the PSP Go (depending on the info I get regarding my download questions from an earlier posting) for my 8 year old son.

I really appreciate you taking the time to provide your advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
One thing to also consider is the price of the games for the iTouch and the PSP Go. I have done some Googling, and I have read consistently that PSP Go games will be priced a little lower, the same, or even higher than the regular PSP's UMD games. Don't quote me, because I am not sure that where I read from were reputable sources, but it something to think about. You can find great, original titles for the iPod under $10. I have several very good games that I love to play that were under $5. And as Chris said, you can find many fun games for free for the iPod.

Reaction score
Chris - great info and advice. Based on everything you have mentioned, I think he would like the Touch better. However, using your info, I will probably buy the DSi (I'll need to research that more) or the PSP Go (depending on the info I get regarding my download questions from an earlier posting) for my 8 year old son.

I really appreciate you taking the time to provide your advice!

Nintendo DSi uses a standard microSD card (I think..it might just use a regular camera memory card..I haven't used mine because I love my iPod touch and school started so..) so he can store music, which can be played. There's cool modes for playing music as well. There's two cameras: one out one in, but you can't import pictures, only take them. You can also send the pictures you take to Facebook. The system doesn't do video on either camera, there's no instant messaging system there (that goes over Wifi..there's Pictochat, but that's between two systems, not over the interwebs) and it only plays DS/DSi games, not GameBoy Advance games. The Nintendo DSi uses the mobile Opera web browser, and let me tell you: it sucks worse than any free web browser available for the iPod touch, and heck, it's even worse than the PSP's web browser. The problem that I've had with the DSi is the fact that it won't update the firmware anymore..but that's a different story. There is a Nintendo Shop (DSi Ware) that allows certain software titles to be downloaded, as well as some utilities, like another clock, calendar and calculator. The web browser is free, as are some other things, but most of it costs Nintendo Points. (200, 400, 800, 1000). I'd say, you're better off knowing an exact amount on the iTunes store versus this frickin' thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
FYI, the DSi takes a standard SD card.

What issues have you had with your firmware? I need to try mine and see if it updates.

Reaction score
FYI, the DSi takes a standard SD card.

What issues have you had with your firmware? I need to try mine and see if it updates.
When I first purchased it (by trading in my first generation system for a price redux), and then updated it less than oh, two hours after purchasing it, it showed a progress bar (blocks) indicating how far the update went along. When that got full, then it would say it was updated and the system would shut off. Well, the last three times I tried to update it, it said there was an update, but after only say, ten seconds, it would say it would shut down. Maybe I'm just not used to the fact that the first update was a huge one and these last three were extremely short?

Now I'm trying to see if Linux will run on the DSi..

>.<

The iPod touch and the PSP's firmware updates are so much easier (though I've never liked Sony's update process..time consuming and it requires a full battery no matter what).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Well, I got the same result. The first one took a bit and then the other were real quick. Maybe they just aren't updating too much, who knows for sure. Yeah, the Sony update is very slow, and the PS3 is worse. You would think that they could speed up the process as the downloads are relatively small.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB Hardrive, Overclocked (9700m GT) 9600m GT
Reaction score
i personally feel that itouch is better than PSP , There is a giant list of itouch games so no question of getting bored .

as it is a Christmas gift he will be more happy cos he will be getting his priority gadget .

my humble request , give him i touch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think the Ipod touch is a better value.
I had the first gen psp1000, I accidentally dropped it while trying to get a game out, and the game door mechanism fell apart on the inside. It still worked, but the door wouldn't open by itself anymore. With this example, and the new psp-go, I think there are lot's of chances for an 11 year old to break it. The touch has no moving parts, and has so many cases to prevent damage if dropped and scratches, same with the screen. You can get protectors for the psp too, but it's not the same...
We were trying to download a demo on my sisters psp-go, and it took almost 20 minutes! The only other game we bought and downloaded took more than 40 minutes!!
The PSP-GO is a no go in my opinion.
The Ipod Touch, which gives you better access to music, videos, games, internet, email, is more user friendly, better computer support, better customer service/return policy(we can't return the psp-go because we got it on sale on black friday!), it's also 50 bucks cheaper, and games are cheaper. The psp-go does not have a very good way of storing files. The 16gb psp somehow manages to hold less data than the touch(OSX has something to do with it, and the way files are compressed).

I would go with a refurbished ipod touch, and get the 16gb(2nd generation) version for the same price as the 8gb one($199). Or, you could go for a refurbished 8gb(2nd gen.) for $150, which save you $100 over the psp...or another way to look at is, you have 100 dollars to spend on games, whereas if you took the psp, you will be at above $300 with a game after tax.

I loved my psp1000...but no psp is better than the touch...in my opinion.

One other valid point I just thought of...when I used my psp, it was to only play games or listen to music. Before I got my iphone, I had the 8gb touch, I used it for everything from playing games, to watching youtube videos, music, email...everything. You get more out of it!

That's Why I think it's a better value.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Gaming on the PSP is better than that of the apps for an iTouch. If the kids a gamer, get the PSP. If not, get the iPod.

Or get a small nano and a PSP and have some of the best of both worlds.

Personally, I have a 120GB classic, but 85% of it's life is in my glove box. I have an iPhone. If I owned an iTouch without the phone capabilities, it would basically be useless to me, but I'm 27 and not 11.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.