Netbook or iBook G4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4, 1.33GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB monitor
I just sold my iBook G3 to buy a Mac Mini G4.
However, with my Mac Mini on eBay, I'm wondering...

Should I either buy an iBook G4 with the same specs, but more RAM, or a netbook (more powerful) to return back to the Windows world?

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I would stay away from any PowerPC mac. You will be much better off with the netbook, which will be faster and more relevant with new technologies. You don't have to run Windows on it, there are lots of great Linux distros which would work great on it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You want to leave Mac OSX and return to Windows? If so, you do not want a iBook or any Power PC Mac.

If I am misunderstanding your post, please clarify. You bought a Mini and are selling that?

And you have to decide, which OS do you like? OSX or Windows?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You want to leave Mac OSX and return to Windows? If so, you do not want a iBook or any Power PC Mac.

If I am misunderstanding your post, please clarify. You bought a Mini and are selling that?

And you have to decide, which OS do you like? OSX or Windows?

I love having iMovie and GarageBand and stuff because I make movie projects a lot, and the PowerPC is pretty fast for my needs. The netbook is a bit faster, and more stuff is compatible with Windows, but it's more hardware-straining, if that makes any sense.

Should I just stay with Mac, or go into Windows? I'd prefer Mac just because of its great software library, but I'm not sure......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
I had an iBook G4 that I sold for a netbook. To me, it wasn't a power issue; the iBook had more then enough. I just wanted something smaller then 12".

If you're happy with the Mac Mini, the iBook will be great. But if you need a little extra juice and don't mind a smaller screen and Windows/Linux, the netbook would be the better option.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys,
I've decided to go with a netbook. It's portable, has more compatibility, but I will miss having the iLife suite. Oh well, back to WMM and Audacity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.