has anyone used/tried ClamXav?

Reaction score
Hi all

Have any one tried/used the ClamXav?

As a virus program, is it good? I am seeking around for a good anti virus for my mac.

Thanks for looking all

Reaction score
Seriously, you really don't have to download any anti-virus programs for your Mac unless you downloaded a lot of pirated softwares. Most anti-virus programs that I have heard of on the Mac platform slows down the system tremendously. I have heard of ClamXav before, and I have tried using it. I've never actually found anything on my Mac before.

OP
V
Reaction score
Hi

Thank you for the reply. I "just" use my mac`s for all things on the web, never done any down loading of pirated things, and guess I never will....

So, I don`t need a anti virus program at all? What about all the junk mail, and mails with virus attached to them?
No need to worry on a mac:)(?)

Thanks for helping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2
I use ClamXav, which the above CNET article says seems like the best one to use...if you're going to use one.

I have the ClamXav Sentry set up to check anything going into my Downloads folder (where I also unzip or de-rar files) and my p2p Completed folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The main reason to have antivirus software on a Mac is to catch any Windows viruses that you don't want passing on to others, via email for example. However, I wouldn't want to waste system resources on my end to protect other computers. If the recipient doesn't have antivirus, that's not my problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
One day, a virus will be developed for Macs. It will catch most of the Mac community off guard, and cause much angst. I used Virex for years, as it turns out, for absolutely no reason at all. I'm going bare now, but I wonder if I should download ClamXav and start using it for no good reason as well. At least I'll be prepared for One Day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.