External and Internal HD for MBP 15" 2.4

Reaction score
Hi all,
first time poster. I have a late 2008 unibody mbp 15" and i'm considering eSata drive external hd. My questions:

1 what type of expresscard gives the least trouble with this unit and supports the fastest possible transfer. I have been reading about Sonnet tempo pro card but it seems a bit steep, although very good. others report some kernel panic issues with many cards and slower rates due to firmware changes made by apple. the tempo pro seems to be untouched by this but what is the general consensus from those who have experience?

2. What are the leading eSata drives known to work seamlessly with the mbp? seagate, wd, g-tech. i'm looking for 2 TB total but am willing to split it up any number of ways......

overall my needs pertain to storage of vast amounts of imaging data and i would need to be able to access this data quickly....

unibody mbp 2.4
4 gb ram
250 gb stock hd

I am considering upgrading my HD and am debating a SSD or 7200 rpm drive...leaning toward the former but waiting for a price reduction...

if anyone can recommend a good combination of internal drives with external storage that would be great....so far i'm thinking intel or vertex ssd with eSATA externals......

would love to get to 8gb ram but not supported by stupid apple in my model....

thanks. any and all input would be appreciated...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.