Mystery File

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hi All
I was reading a post in this section about freeing up hard disk space. It brought good items to my attention as well as a couple of questions. I was not sure if it is proper etiquette to post a new thread or to continue in the one that was already started with my own questions. (Thought that might be rude to the original poster.) So, please forgive me if I'm wrong.

I'm running MAC OSX 10.4.11 on a 15" Macbook Pro.
In that thread, 6string suggested to try Disk Inventory X. It did & it's cool. Thank You! I got to dump several gigabytes of CAD file back-ups.

But I see the largest groups on my computer are WinXP.hdd (I've got Parallels installed). I expected that one would be huge. But there's one called Sleepimage. I used Finder to look for Sleepimage to try and figure out what it was. It doesn't show up. The path Disk Inventory X shows is Macintosh HD/Private/VAR/VM/sleepimage. Disk Inventory X says it is a Document File.
Private doesn't show up, nor does VAR. A Finder search doesn't reveal them either. Do any of you know what they it is and if I can ditch it?

Another question that came to mind while reading the other thread was about the jpegs that Safari saves with Top Sites. toMACsh mentioned he ditched several megabytes by dumping them. My Safari version has Top Sites (ver 4.0.4). Where are those jpegs located so I can nuke 'em? I searched for jepg files and,of course, found zillions. Mostly my iPhoto stuff I think. I do sometimes use Safari-Reset Safari to de-junk. Does this remove the Top Sites jpegs from my disk?

Thanks for any info! (I have a few MAC OS 3rd party manuals but the very best information comes from this forum!)

Paul

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I expected that one would be huge. But there's one called Sleepimage. I used Finder to look for Sleepimage to try and figure out what it was. It doesn't show up. The path Disk Inventory X shows is Macintosh HD/Private/VAR/VM/sleepimage. Disk Inventory X says it is a Document File.
Private doesn't show up, nor does VAR. A Finder search doesn't reveal them either. Do any of you know what they it is and if I can ditch it?
Don't touch those unless you want trouble. They're hidden for a reason. The Sleepimage file is for proper hibernation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
...and your etiquette was perfect! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.