No further OS X.4 Tiger support

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Nothing new. We knew Apple would discontinue support for 10.4 once 10.6 came out. We knew 10.6 would be Intel-only.

For those of you whose crystal balls are still cloudy, support for 10.5 will be dropped when (and if) 10.7 comes out. And support for 10.6 will be dropped when (and if) 10.8 comes out.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Tech, you say When and If on 10.7 and above. You know something you are not saying? Like Google Chrome OS except OSX all on the net?

The announcement by Google yesterday was dead on to what I knew Chrome OS was going to be. I sure hope Apple is not planning the same road to all your data on the net.

On 10.4 Tiger. There was one last update not long ago and I was pretty sure that would be it. They always seem to support 2 versions like Tech said, current and last version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The announcement by Google yesterday was dead on to what I knew Chrome OS was going to be. I sure hope Apple is not planning the same road to all your data on the net.

I agree. At that point I would be open to switching to another computing platform.

OP
harryb2448
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Looks like there are a lot of us not willing to put all of our trust/info in the cloud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
More and more of this planned obsolescence?
I seriously dislike it when people use the term "planned obsolescence".
They make it sound like it's some sort of grand conspiracy against consumers.
Manufacturers don't release something while being fully aware that the upgrade is already scheduled for a certain time.

This happened not because the OS writers "planned" it that way, but rather it's simply because technology is an ever advancing field.
That's just the way it goes.
The more advancements there are, the more difficult it is to maintain legacy software and systems.
You can't put a band-aid on something to make it work just like the new stuff all the time.
You can't continue to fully back an OS that has reached its peak and has already had two successors.
Eventually, legacy support must be dropped.

Most operating systems were good for about 4-5 years maximum.
OS X 10.4 was released on April 29, 2005... over 4.5 years ago.
Its time has come to an end.

The faster technology advances, the shorter that time frame becomes.

If one day technological advancement suddenly screeched to a halt... would consumers be happy?
No, of course not.
They would demand more and more.
Would it help if technology simply "slowed down" a bit?
No, of course not.
The consumer is an insatiable beast and would demand faster updates.

However, so long as the older systems still provide their users with the same reliability and functionality they did on day one, they are not obsolete.
I still have a single-processor 1.6 Ghz Power Mac G5 running 10.4.11 Tiger.
It still does exactly what I need it to.
Yes, it's older... but it is far from being obsolete.

If the day ever came that my current setup couldn't successfully perform for me... I would get a newer computer.
Until that day, my system and OS are not obsolete.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Tech, you say When and If on 10.7 and above. You know something you are not saying? Like Google Chrome OS except OSX all on the net?

Not to get off-topic, but I think Chromium OS is exactly the kind of OS an always-on, always connected netbook platform needs. Think of it like a bridge between a smartphone and a standard notebook. I don't see Apple going down that path, as they have always catered to the high-end of the market - at least not with the Mac line. If anything, the rumored tablet would function more in that niche. And again, Chromium OS is a niche product. It's not looking to replace full on PCs (and I use the PC in the general sense, not the mainstream sense), nor will it ever.

But for the on-the-go, always connected business traveler, for whom a Smartphone isn't enough for crunching spreadsheets or working on large documents, this style of OS may be a good fit.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the Apple going NET PC I did say HOPE they don't. :D

From all the info I have read Google is not going to stop with netbooks. That is the first step of their plan.

I can see your point on a device for some users and uses.

As far as Tiger support, Apple is doing nothing different. They support the current and the version before. You can't expect them to support Tiger forever. Same was done with Panther, Jaguar, Puma before. Microsoft pulls support after a time on their older OS's also. Apple is doing nothing different with this. I just wish it was easier to get 10.5 Leopard for the older Macs that are running tiger still.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.