How to back up my system?

Reaction score
Hey! I'm new here
I own a white Mac Book and I use it for editing in FCP. Now I bought a WD Scorpio Black drive and I want to replace the stock drive, then I'll add more RAM.

Well, how Can I back up my system? I tried using Time Machine with my 1T external drive and it didn't work. I can't make a fresh install because I can't loose my FCP install, I have an Academic license (I'm a film student)

Thanks!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Use SuperDuper to clone your drive to the external (the external will either need to be clean or you'll need to create a partition on it that is equal to or greater than the size of your internal drive).

When finished, install the new drive. Boot your system from the external by holding the Option key down immediately after you've turn the machine on and then selecting the backup partition/drive.

Once the machine boots, use Disk Utility to Erase the internal drive. Then open SuperDuper and backup the external to the internal. Then you're done!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Hi all. I need to make a full clone of my hard drive so i can send my computer in for repairs, again:(. Is there a FREE app I can use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
superduper will clone ... for free..

it's the incremental backups you have to pay for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Oh, because there was a link to "buy", so I presumed that the download was a limited demo. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.