fonts in classic mode

C

cangel

Dear experts,

I was recently trying to do layout work in Quark 5 on a co-worker's emac (has OS 10.3 on it) using Classic. The fonts I needed weren't on her machine so I took the fonts from my machine (G4, 1.25 GH, has OS 10.3.8 and OS 9.2.2 on it) and put it in the Classic system fonts folder on her hard drive. The fonts came out bitmapped. I then tried copying some substitute fonts from a folder on my OS X hard drive and putting them in her Classic system fonts folder, but this time when I started up classic and Quark 5, the substitute fonts didn't even show up. What's with the bitmapping and what's with the substitute fonts not even showing up in Quark's font menu? Do you need to install a font utility or something? The fonts work fine on my computer so I'm not sure what the problem is. I do have suitcase on both operating systems in my computer. My co-worker doesn't.

Please help,
Carl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
are you sure you copied the screen and printer fonts? if you got only on, thats a problem, is that emac running atm deluxe in classic?

OP
C

cangel

Macman said:
are you sure you copied the screen and printer fonts? if you got only on, thats a problem, is that emac running atm deluxe in classic?

Hi Vincent,

I did copy both screen and printer fonts, but when they didn't show up in Quark's font menu, I took the printer fonts out of the system folder and left in the screen fonts. Then, the fonts showed up in Quark's font menu, but when I chose them, they came out bitmapped. When I dragged some fonts from Font Folio 9 to the Classic's system folder as a possible substiture font, they didn't even show up in Quark's font menu, even after I restarted Classic and Quark. Now what's up with that?!!

The emac is running ATM light. Is that a problem?

Thanks,
Carl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
running atm light isn't a problem, how many fonts are active? if you add the font, if its a TT font, or a few others from classic whos names I can't recall at the moment, TT fonts usually have 2 fonts, the screen font, and as a separate file, the printer font. do you have the anti alias feature turned on in atm?

OP
C

cangel

Macman said:
running atm light isn't a problem, how many fonts are active? if you add the font, if its a TT font, or a few others from classic whos names I can't recall at the moment, TT fonts usually have 2 fonts, the screen font, and as a separate file, the printer font. do you have the anti alias feature turned on in atm?

Including the numerous screen fonts from the one that I dragged, the emac's Classic system folder has 55 fonts. Yes the anti-alias feature is on. The font is FuturT. It's a postscript font, and there are both screen and printer fonts. As I said before, I left the printer fonts out of the Classic Fonts folder. I did leave them on the hard drive, however.

Here's something I just observed as I did a command-I (in OS X) on FuturT's screen font. In the info box under "kind," the screen font is described as a "Paintbrush document," as opposed to "font suitcase," which is what it usually would describe itself as in OS 9. What's "Paintbrush?" Does that have anything to do with it? Did OS X do something to them? I had these fonts long before OS X.

Carl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think paintbrush was an app, that font, the screen font at least, may be corrupt. whats the extension, if any?

OP
C

cangel

Macman said:
I think paintbrush was an app, that font, the screen font at least, may be corrupt. whats the extension, if any?

The extension is .scr

Could font doctor repair it? Can you recommend any utility that can?

Thanks for all your help, by the way.

Carl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can try copying it again from the original machine, I'm not sure if there is a classic version of font doctor, but if there is, it could most likely fix it. I don't remember exactly, but does atm have a font repair tool?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.