Looking for an Itunes for video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB DDR3L RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Hey everyone;

I've been looking for a video organizer for my video files.
Something like iTunes, but one that works with video files (.avi .mp4 .mkv)

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
Um, iTunes? Under your library, click "Movies" and you can organise all your videos, just like you do music...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
VLC can manage a library of just about any video you throw at it.

Its playlist and library panel isn't that sexy, but the program certainly gets the job done.

Just remembered, if its something a bit more graphic you want then the open source XMBC may be what you are after

http://xbmc.org/

OP
PrimalYeti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB DDR3L RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Um, iTunes? Under your library, click "Movies" and you can organise all your videos, just like you do music...

iTunes only handles MP4's, and only about 5% of my video files are mp4s, the rest are AVi and MKV.

I'll try out XMBC and see how it goes.
I'm really looking for something that looks as appealing as iTunes, and can organize my videos by movie title, or tv title, then season then episode with the cover art too if possible.

OP
PrimalYeti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm so I've tried XMBC and Plex and they both seem to be more geared towards being a media center, and less a tool to organize my movies.

Any other options? Maybe a way to import my movies into iTunes?

OP
PrimalYeti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, looks like importing into iTunes is completely out of the question.

Maybe a file organizer?

Reaction score
Hmm so I've tried XMBC and Plex and they both seem to be more geared towards being a media center, and less a tool to organize my movies.

Any other options? Maybe a way to import my movies into iTunes?

The only way to import them would be to convert them to .mp4. iSquint is a program I use to convert them. I am not sure if it's even available anymore, but if you find it you can convert .avi to .mp4. not sure about .mkv

click here for iSquint

OP
PrimalYeti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ye, i read a lot of articles that recommended iSquint.

Unfortunately, converting all the videos I have to MP4 would take me over a year =S

I guess i'll just stick with what I got now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.