MAC Pro Slow Rendering IDVD Movie

Reaction score
Can someone help? I have a Mac Pro Desktop 2.66,5gigs of ram, 2.5 tb storage. OS 10.5 latest updates.

I am creating a hd dvd with content length of 55 minuts hd widescreen. Why does it take 2:45 minutes to render out DVD? I check the system monitors and they read all four processors are running around 11% usage each (four processors) and ram is running about 45%used.... So why is this machine taking so long?

I edit alot of videos in FCP and it always takes along time to render sequences and movies. Can someone help? Any suggestions to speed up my machine?

Thank you
Darren G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I don't know about HD video but I would assume because of its quality it will just take far longer than a normal SD video would.

Also, some programs can't make full usage of all four cores but if they are all running at 11% it sounds like its using them all, just not to the max.

Have you got another machine to compare it to?

OP
D
Reaction score
Mac Pro Slow Rendering IDVD Movie

I dont have another Mac, but my old PC Pent 4 was almost as fast.... When rendering a std Def. PAL Movie (Export FCP) it takes about two hours. It seems that not all of the ram is ever being used. Could this be anything to do with my video? I have four hard drives and I am NOT using the primary drive as a scratch drive.

Darren G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
No, it's not the RAM. If anything hardware related, it'd be the processors, but it's not. It's the software hasn't caught up to the tech yet. Try spending the 30 bucks to upgrade to snow leopard. If you can afford FCP, you can afford a 30 dollar OS :p. Maybe Grand Central will help spread your work out to the cores more efficiently?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.