eMac Power Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 GHz eMac w/ superdrive, 1.5GB RAM; 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP
I recently upgraded my machine from 512mb of ram to 1.5gb of ram in order to install leopard. I'm currently running 10.3.9. I just finished backing up my hard drive when my eMac decided to freeze on me. Upon restart, the hard drive wasn't recognized which resulted in me to do a clean install of 10.3.9 (I'm still waiting on my 10.5 to come in the mail). Thankfully I didn't loose anything of any importance.

Now my machine likes to shut off randomly. It likes to do it whenever I accidentally bump the desk or the machine. I had this problem a couple of years ago when I was experiencing video problems at the same time. Apple replaced the logic board which solved the video problems and the power problem persisted for some time after that, but It hasn't done this in about a year and a half.

So, does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Seeing you've had the logic board replaced, that (I hope) rules out the notorious eMac capacitor problem, but check on the caps that you can see from the access hatch to see if they're bulging or leaking. If so you have a good case to have another logic board installed - at Apple's expense!

On a brighter note, it may simply be a loose power connection somewhere, starting from the power plug/socket right through to the power supply unit inside the eMac. Jiggling the power cord when the eMac is in operation is not recommended, but it may just show where the problem lies.

Second option is loose RAM modules - open the hatch to see that they're properly seated, because you *may* not have put them in place quite firmly enough.

With your Panther disks, assuming you still have them, boot from Disk 1 and run a hardware check, doing any necessary repairs.

If you need access to an eMac manual, post back or PM me for assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What memory did you install as G4 machines are notoriously touchy about having strictly Apple compatible low density memory, which is not the type sold by PC shops? High density PC memory may well work for a couple of months before failing. Keep this in mind after you try what hughvane has suggested.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 GHz eMac w/ superdrive, 1.5GB RAM; 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP
@harryb. I installed a 1gb stick that I purchased from OWC in early October.

@hughvane. Before I did the clean install of Panther, I double-check the ram and they were seated nice and secure. One thing that I forgot to mention was that I had the logic board replace twice. Once for the video issues (machine was still covered under apple care at the time), and once because of the power issues (apple care was expired, but qualified for the logic board replacement). After the second replacement, the random shut-downs continued for a couple of months. But then like magic, the power issues stopped for over a year and a half until now.

I did wiggle the power chord and nothing happened. I do have all the original disks and documentation so I'll try running a hardware check as well as check the caps. Until then, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that its just a fluke.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.