Terminal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Hi,

on my dock station I have recently the "terminal" running, just from nowhere.

What functions does this"terminal" have?

I ask this because, just recently I am having some trouble with some software. This terminal, turned up on my dock station and I cant remove it; as it seems its processing systems & usage data!

Thank you, appreciate your help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
right click on the icon and select Quit

Since you don't know what it is, I would suggest not using it at all. You can do major damage to your system entering the wrong thing there.

Reaction score
Or...type the following and hit enter: telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

Give it a minute or two and enjoy...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
right click on the icon and select Quit

Since you don't know what it is, I would suggest not using it at all. You can do major damage to your system entering the wrong thing there.
Agreed. Using it without having an understanding of what you're doing can yield horrible results. It can, at the same time, be incredibly useful and powerful.

Reaction score
meh...as long as you have a strong backup strategy go for it...people used to say the same thing about the Windows registry, but if you don't play with it you'll never know what you're missing...of course it's pretty hard to make Windows run worse than it already does out of the box ;D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I disagree. If you really want to play around with the command line and Bash, set up a virtual machine and go nuts on that. At least then, should something go wrong, it's not problematic to your OS X install.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dock Station; "Terminal"

Thank you guys for the suggestions.

I have tried to get ride of it in some way, once it goes away it reappears again! Also, you just cant quit it as is usually possible with the other one's on the dock station!

I am newbie mac users, and just slowly getting used to the OS system. So far I have tried to avoid and fast solutions that could have major effects for the future; and I dont think its a good approach thinking if something goes wrong I could re-install mac OS again!

I am trying to adjust things, if I only understand their impact!

Anyway, before I used to have the java window sitting on my dock station, even I quit it it would not go away!

Now that is gone for some reason unknown to me , but for the last few days I have this "terminal" sitting on my dock station!

Anyone, knowing for sure what they are doing on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hi,

on my dock station I have recently the "terminal" running, just from nowhere.

What functions does this"terminal" have?

I ask this because, just recently I am having some trouble with some software. This terminal, turned up on my dock station and I cant remove it; as it seems its processing systems & usage data!

Thank you, appreciate your help.

You mention that you've had trouble with some software!
Is it something that you've installed, or came pre-installed with your mac?

Thank you guys for the suggestions.

I have tried to get ride of it in some way, once it goes away it reappears again! Also, you just cant quit it as is usually possible with the other one's on the dock station!

I am newbie mac users, and just slowly getting used to the OS system. So far I have tried to avoid and fast solutions that could have major effects for the future; and I dont think its a good approach thinking if something goes wrong I could re-install mac OS again!

I am trying to adjust things, if I only understand their impact!

Anyway, before I used to have the java window sitting on my dock station, even I quit it it would not go away!

Now that is gone for some reason unknown to me , but for the last few days I have this "terminal" sitting on my dock station!

Anyone, knowing for sure what they are doing on this?

Is your mac still under warranty, I ask this as if there are numerous things going on, and you are not comfortable with terminal (which is understandable), that perhaps you could take it to an apple store or licensed dealer and have them look at it.
Also, perhaps you could take screenshots of what you have and post it here, as well as some info of the apps you've been having problems with, and that may make it easier to guide you in the right direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Are you sure it's a running process sitting on your dock? is there the active light beneath the icon? If not, then you can just drag it off the dock and be done with it ... Icons stay on the dock as a means of easy access, to run your applications quickly

I'm actually a bit surprised that out of the blue you just seem to get a terminal window that you can't get rid of, do you actually have a running Terminal somewhere?

You might not be familiar with how applications work in OS X, closing a window does NOT quit the application, it only closes the one active window of that application. To quit the app, either press cmd+q or go to File>Quit or right click on the dock and select quit (perhaps holt down the option key while right-clicking to select force quit)

But, if you do have a running terminal process, then press control+c to stop and then cmd+q to quit the Terminal application

other than what I tried to sketch for you, I don't know what your problem might be :(

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processes running that I dont understand why they are running!

You mention that you've had trouble with some software!
Is it something that you've installed, or came pre-installed with your mac?

Hi,

thank you for your interest.

I dont think its related to something that was pre-installed.

I used some desktop station(icon's to log directly to web applications), but those dont work anymore! So I deleted those desktop stations, for that reason it shouldnt cause any troubles now.

Yes, the mac is 2 months old, but I purchased it from overseas. I am concerned because, I am using my mac for work related things.

So, I have this terminal on the dock station, at times it appears on screen with its on application processing some kind of stuff. Also, the java console appear, a day and goes away again and it also processes some kind of stuff.

What do they process, and why? And why do they appear and than go away again?

I have included a screen-shot!

>>>How to edit postings on here?

Thanks, and best.

macscreenshot.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
more so hoping for a screenshoot of the whole dock, and that's a really bad quality .jpg which I don't understand how you got like that.
To edit post, under your post you will see and edit button.

The warranty is worldwide, and as far as needing your mac for work, if you take it to an apple store or a licensed mac retailer/repair centre, I am sure that they will be be able to assist you pretty much on the spot.
If it is a major problem, and you need a replacement mac, then Apple is pretty good in these situations, and often will organize a replacement, and allow you to keep your mac until the replacement arrives.

Screen shot 2009-11-24 at 7.33.39 PM.png

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, scathe,

thank you for your reply and the details.

Well, those that I mentioned are stationed on the dock station and have open windows as you will see in the attachment; I havent open them myself.

So mean if there is an active light under an icon its a running processes, if that is the case yes both the terminal and the java console has light underneath their icons!

Indeed, out of the blue got those windows, and being stationed on the dock station.

I am just trying to figure out what functions those wondows/processes have. If they are useful I will leave them alone, if, not I will follow your advise and exit those program's the way you have described!

Other than that, have you came across a useful online mac user guide that highlights major functionality?

Best.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processes running that I dont understand why they are running!

more so hoping for a screenshoot of the whole dock, and that's a really bad quality .jpg which I don't understand how you got like that.

Thank you for the tips; I do appreciate them.

My dock station has five more icon's i.e. antivirus, browser, pdf, keyboard, rubbish bin.

You said that the dock station, has a means of giving the user faster access to applications. Well, for me it just takes too long to open an application from the dock-station.

Thats why I go directly to the finder, and click the application from there. Than, have to click "open" to start -up the application. That way, the time used to start is much less!

I am newbie, and I maybe missing here something, but couldnt figure out anything else that works for me fast. I tried to use some of the suggestions on some forums, but as it seems most of the suggestions are rather model specific not mac OS specific!

Any useful online resource, that you are aware of that is model specific (user guide)?

Will the screen shot that I attached to my answer, useful to you to understand the issues that I was talking about?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would strongly recommend going to apple site, and making your way through the tutorials. Apple - Mac
The screen shot wasn't really of much use, however, I still think that you should take this step from my last post into action as well as the link that I provided.
"The warranty is worldwide, and as far as needing your mac for work, if you take it to an apple store or a licensed mac retailer/repair centre, I am sure that they will be be able to assist you pretty much on the spot.
If it is a major problem, and you need a replacement mac, then Apple is pretty good in these situations, and often will organize a replacement, and allow you to keep your mac until the replacement arrives."
As far as online manuals, I think first you need the basic understanding, which the tutorials are really good in that link.
Also, I think taking your mac to an Apple Store/repair centre so you can have someone look at what's going on, as you are a newbie, and you don't want to mess your mac up.
Following that, there is Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual - O'Reilly Media

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Manual

Hi 6string,

thank you for your reply and the link.

Well, I did think about everything else and researched accordingly.

But, never thought about the link that you gave.

I will get back to you, if I have any issues arising from this topic.

Thank you again.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Manual

Hi 6string,

thank you for your reply and the link.

Well, I did think about everything else and researched accordingly.

But, never thought about the link that you gave.

I will get back to you, if I have any issues arising from this topic.

Thank you again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Hi, scathe,

thank you for your reply and the details.

Well, those that I mentioned are stationed on the dock station and have open windows as you will see in the attachment; I havent open them myself.

So mean if there is an active light under an icon its a running processes, if that is the case yes both the terminal and the java console has light underneath their icons!

just select the app, either by clicking in the dock or using cmd+tab to make it active and press cmd+q (or go to File>Quit) ... you'll be fine :)

Hi, scathe,

I am just trying to figure out what functions those wondows/processes have. If they are useful I will leave them alone, if, not I will follow your advise and exit those program's the way you have described!

Other than that, have you came across a useful online mac user guide that highlights major functionality?

Best.

I don't think you need to worry, those terminal/console applications won't be anything essential

As for the guide, I have personally never read anything of that sort, but there are bound to be many Mac OS X user guides/functionality overviews ... just think of what you need to do and try to google how to do it, yer I know, not so helpful :D

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Terminal/running process

Hi scathe,

thanks for the hints.

I tried them and yes initially they worked well for the "terminal" window.

But, sometimes they turn up again, do you know why?

Also, as to the java console window if I do it it exists a certain software that I am using, why?

So it seems we are at square one, somehow!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.