Scrolling Stutter (since upgrade)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP/2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB 7200RPM HD/9400m & 9600m
So I have a MBP 5,1 and a couple of days ago I upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 4GB (this kit) and also upgraded from the stock 250GB 5400rpm to a 320GB 7200rpm (this drive).

Every thing is working out good, its faster and more responsive but for some reason it hangs momentarily when I scroll down a web page, which is often, it hangs or sticks very briefly and then resumes scrolling again. It will do it at least once every web page and sometimes 2 or 3 times. It sounds minor but its very aggravating when surfing and scrolling a lot.

I use a wireless Logitech Nano VX mouse with one of those fly wheels that spins so pages scroll according to momentum of the spin so I thought that maybe its the mouse but it also does it when I use the 2 finger scroll on the touchpad.

So it must be either the hard drive or the RAM.Any thoughts? Also is there an OS X equivalent to memtest86+ and HD Tach, so I can run some diagnostics?

:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
HD or RAM, perhaps not - how about safari caches, cron routines, PRAM, as a non techy i would even give SMC a shot. Could even be a Network issue. Just my thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Firefox does that on my MBP. Safari scrolls smoothly. Are you using Firefox?

OP
bobbytomorow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP/2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB 7200RPM HD/9400m & 9600m
I am using firefox, and I just disabled smooth scrolling and all seems well again. I just did a new install of 10.6 (obviously, new hard drive :p) so I must have had it disabled before.

Cheers guys :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.