macbook pro hard drive upgrade

Reaction score
hey everybody,
I have the new macbook pro (mid2009) 2.26 configuration with a 4gb ram upgrade.. and was thinking also about upgrading my hard drive to 500gb one..
I searched for quite some time and ended up with these 2 choices:
1.Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB 2.5IN Sata 7200RPM 16MB
2.Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB 2.5 SATA 5400RPM 8MB
the Segate is 15$ more, but that doesn't matter if it is the better one.
I know its really obvious that I should pick the seagate, but I heard that the WD doesn't do problems as much and it gets higher reviews. plus with the higher RPM, I would loose battery power and it would run hotter, right?
am so confused.
help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
You're right, the higher RPM, the more power it needs to run, thus you'll loose battery power. You won't be losing hours though, unless you doing something that constantly read/writes on the drive (video editing).

I'm not sure if a particular hard drive company is better in general. Both have failure rates. Personally, I've always gone with Seagate (usually cheaper in store) and haven't had any problems yet. It's a preference at this point.

I say go with the one with better reviews / # of reviewers. That way you can feel confident you won't have to deal with customer service about a failed drive which is a pain when done through online purchases. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.