Unable to watch DVDs

Reaction score
Hi,

We just rec'd our iMac the other day and I find that I am unable to watch dvd's (purchased ones) without it skipping/lagging and then just freezing. With the DVD Player App, it gave me Error 69902. I also have downloaded and tried the VLC and that too was unsuccessful.

I was watching this specific dvd on our PC without any problems. Does anyone have any insight to this? Is it the streaming level or something? I spend a LOT of time infront of my computer and love to watch something while I work so this now silent environment is makin' me nuts!

Please help!

~Natalie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
From what I have read, this occurs frequently with DVDs that are burned copies. Are you trying to play a burned copy?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're unable to watch purchased DVDs on a brand new iMac, it's time to take the machine in to Apple and have them look at it. Since it's new, they will repair or replace it under warranty.

Regards.

OP
O
Reaction score
VanSmith: nope, they are not burned ones.

chscag: Take it back, really?

OP
O
Reaction score
btw: Dvd Player app, did play them, but it skipped, then froze and then gave me that error.

OP
O
Reaction score
Oh and I have loaded software through this drive, so would it really be faulty if other discs are able to work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What software did you load through the drive? Was it on a CD or DVD? It sounds like the drive itself is defective or intermittently faulty. Sometimes a drive that has problems works OK with CDs but not DVDs. (DVD media requires more optical power than CD media.)

I still think you should have Apple look at it. Your machine is under warranty, why not have them trouble shoot it rather than doing it yourself?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.