Macbook Is (Literally) Falling Apart

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I take good care of my Macbook, I really do. In fact, it pains me every time when I see my friend's Macbook covered in her cigarette burns. Anyway, I take care of it a lot, whether or not you are talking about the interior or the exterior - everything.

Yet, the bottom right of my palm rest has chipped off, and the same happened to the bottom left of my palm rest. I have read on the internet that this is due to a structural issue with the white and black Macbooks, and it isn't something that can be remedied. So I let it be, but the crack has been getting bigger and bigger even if I don't try to peel it off by force.

Recently, the top left of my screen's bezel has cracked as well. It began when the bezel was bulging out because something came off of the frame inside. Because of the bulge, the plastic bezel eventual buckled and cracked. It just sucks that I have such an awesome machine, and yet I have to deal with these stupid hardware issues. My machine is working perfectly and at tip-top condition on the inside. But on the outside, my Macbook is literally falling apart.

Now, I don't think external damages like that warrant a brand new Macbook Pro, although that is very tempting. Also, I am way past my warranty period, which means that the Apple Store is probably not going to change the top casing and the bezel for me, even though it is obviously their own design flaws. Even if they do, I am not sure if I can part with my Macbook for the duration of time that they'd take to replace the outer shells.

I am just wondering how some of you are dealing with this issue, which I am sure is pretty common for the most part. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,1
Wait, you said brand new? Meaning an aluminum one, because I cant see how thats possible. Which Macbook do you have? I'm assuming its the polycarbonate one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Ummm, read his post, he is talking about a MB, not a MBP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The plastic MacBooks, up until recently, have used the same case design that has a known defect. The palmrest chips quite easily. In fact, I've seen Apple replace it out of warranty.

If you go to the Apple Store, I would bring along some of the articles that are readily available about the subject - many of which imply that Apple has a policy of repairing the problem out of warranty. Just Google "Macbook cracks" and you'll see what I mean.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have seen a few members here report getting replacement out of warranty.
Can't hurt to ask anyway.

OP
P
Reaction score
I do hope the Apple Store back in my country will allow this. They tend to be very anal about such things back home, and they'd probably find an excuse by saying that I mishandled my Macbook, or something.

Reaction score
cracked screen what is going on?!

Well, I am on a hunt...I would like everyone who has had problems with a cracked screen to make a post. I BABY my mac book pro...it sits in one spot on my desk and occasionally i sit it on my lap to type...I ALWAYS pick it up from the bottom and NEVER pic it up from the screen...I have owned it less than a year and I went to put it in my lap and with my left holding onto the bottom and my right on the top of the screen and CRACK big crack just below the camera...and on top of that I had noticed the hard drive clicking recently and thought oh this can't be it is flippin brand new and didn't check it out...I told my husband about the cracked screen he goes to check on it and the hard drive fails.

I have owned high end dells, toshiba, tough books all still working all workhorses but since I do so much photography and video EVERYONE was saying you need to go with a MAC. Well so far I am LESS than impressed with the hardware....and now I am told after spending 3700 for a custom MacPRO I have to spend another 1200 for a screen. So hey...whats the deal anyone have any of these problems!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
A hard drive in a Mac is the same as in a Dell or Toshiba. It will fail.

Reaction score
I would recommend not going through apple for the screen. I had the same problem, but I went to a place called "Mission Repair" (iPod Repair | iPhone Repair | MacBook Repair) and got my screen replaced for $229. It still works fine, and I haven't had any problems with the screen so far.
EDIT: apple was going to charge me around $750. Also, that's just an example of a repair service (I read this post and realized it sounded like an advertisement).

Reaction score
I have the same problem (cracked palm rest on both sides). I want to take it to the Genius Bar, but is there anyway I they would be able to do some sort of an upgrade to the new Uni Body design MB? I have Apple Care and was going to sell my current MB and get the new Uni Body design (which I've heard is VERY comparable to the MBP in terms of hardware), so is it worth it to get the palm rest fixed if they won't offer an upgrade?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They won't offer an upgrade. The best they'll do is a "good will" repair. So, see if they will do the repair free of charge (make sure you mention that you saw on the web that this is a known defect that is often repaired free of charge). Once it's repaired, put it on Craigslist or eBay and use the proceeds to buy a new machine if you're so inclined.

Reaction score
My white MacBook is a hot mess. Works fine, but the case is cracked and strips have literally peeled away. I took it in once, and Apple refused to repair it (Westfield Mall, San Jose, CA store). Said it was a "known issue." I was literally a few days out of warranty. I certainly expected better of their fabled customer support. Now the case is buckling up around the charging/AC port. It looks like this thing has been through a war, and I'm actually quite careful with it.

Reaction score
Can I ask which one you have HMBgal I am looking at upgrading. Is yours the latest released macbook or the previous version?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Can I ask which one you have HMBgal I am looking at upgrading. Is yours the latest released macbook or the previous version?

Thanks in advance

It's an older one. It is a work computer to replace my PowerBook G4. G4 looks brand new, and the MacBook is clean, because I keep it that way with Magic Eraser and electronics wipies, but the case is cracking all over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.