Firefox, facebook and spyware?

Reaction score
Today I clicked on a friend's image in facebook and out of nowhere a couple of windows opened up indicating some security threat, one seemed to be running some sort of system scan showing a bunch of "trojans" in various places on my hd. Then a window popped up to download a fix to these threats, but I noticed everything was windows based graphics. I then noticed that the url in the address bar was for some spyware site. I didn't download the "fix" as I thought it very suspicious. I closed firefox and cleared the history. I have noticed that some pages won't load properly on firefox now, but everything seems fine using safari.

I'm wondering if I should do some other "checking" to determine if my system has been infected, if so what? I currently have no antivirus software and am running os 10.5.8 Should I uninstall firefox? I'm relatively new to the mac platform. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
That's just an attempt to trick people (mainly Windows users) into downloading spyware. Chances are, the spyware that would download would be made for Windows and not even run on Mac OS X. If you didn't download, run, and give your password to anything, you'll be fine. Perhaps just clear your Firefox cache (Tools → Clear Recent History…) and, if you're truly concerned, run a scan with an antivirus like ClamXav (it's free and for Mac).

For more information about Mac antivirus applications, check out The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
adding to that...... Facebook has constantly got many bugs, which I know yesterday, were making it difficult to view pics, and some other items.
Also, the latest version of firefox has a couple of bugs too, which on occasion will take a second or third attempt to open pages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I use iAntiVirus and it seemed quite buggy for a while. Every time I started up my computer I had to go into the Terminal and type "killall iAntiVirus".
I'll try ClamXav also.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Let me guess, it talked about scanning your registry and C drive and DLL's. OSX has no Registry nor C drive nor DLL's. It's a windows hoax to get you to purchase some scanning software.

OP
K
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I thought but was a bit paranoid, I guess that comes from years of windows use:Smirk:

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.