• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Streaming Video via USB?

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a potential switcher. I may be using the wrong terms since search didn't find anything.

I have a camera that can also record High Definition video. It has a USB port and and HDMI port but no firewire. If I want to stream video from the camera to a MacBook can I do it using the USB port?

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a potential switcher. I may be using the wrong terms since search didn't find anything.

I have a camera that can also record High Definition video. It has a USB port and and HDMI port but no firewire. If I want to stream video from the camera to a MacBook can I do it using the USB port?
Wrong forum? Unclear question?

Last night I did some research and it appears there are Mini Port to HDMI converters. Is that what i need or will USB suffice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
Are you sure? I think that HD videocameras must have the "small" firewire called i-link or i-something like that...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would suggest:

A) checking the owners manual or manufacturers website for details on your camera.

B) telling what camera you have

Not all cameras are created equal.

OP
F
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
On page 284 I found this; "Movies: MOV (Image data: H.264; Audio data: Linear PCM (stereo))". This suggests a QuickTime file format that can be imported into iMovie. Perhaps iMovie 09 can also read directly from the camera and do the import that way. See the iMovie tutorials regarding importing on the iLife web page.

The USB cable connection should give access to the content from your Mac.

OP
F
Reaction score
On page 284 I found this; ...

The USB cable connection should give access to the content from your Mac.
I know how to access the content. The issue that concerns me is it's quality. Let me try asking the question a different way...

Say I have a movie recorded on my camera... I want to play it on the Macpro with using the card on the camera as a drive. Using the USB port will it play without jittering and pausing? My actual application is to do this with a live feed but just so you understand what I'm asking...

Reaction score
Well, that depends

This isn't as simple question as it may appear. There are many variables that will determine whether any video will play without stutter on any PC or Mac.

What is the video format?(Mpeg 1, mpeg2, mpeg4, 264, avchd, etc.)
What is the envelope? (AVI, MOV, etc.)
What is the resolution? 1920x1080p, 1920x1080i, 1300x720p, etc.

In my experience, in general, video from a usb drive can play nicely. But video in a format for editing as opposed to display won't playback well no matter what you do.

I believe most of these potential problems exist on the PC/Windows machine also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Say I have a movie recorded on my camera... I want to play it on the Macpro with using the card on the camera as a drive. Using the USB port will it play without jittering and pausing? My actual application is to do this with a live feed but just so you understand what I'm asking...

Do you mean that you want to stream the live video off of the camera into your computer? If so, then the first question is, does that camera support such a feature? A search for the word, stream, found nothing in that manual you linked to.

I've heard of hacks that use the 'live view' feature of cameras. If I recall correctly, the frames per second are low and the quality is not full resolution such as the 1080 HD that the camera can do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.