Macbook Battery Issues

Reaction score
This subject has probably been beaten to death, but I have a black 13" macbook Ive had for a few years. about 2 years ago or so, it stopped recognizing the battery and will only run off of the power cord. I searched for battery updates, got what I thought was it, but it didn't do anything. So, now with my mag safe power cord on, it is really easy to jar loose. Do I just need a new battery? Thanks in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This subject has probably been beaten to death, but I have a black 13" macbook Ive had for a few years. about 2 years ago or so, it stopped recognizing the battery and will only run off of the power cord. I searched for battery updates, got what I thought was it, but it didn't do anything. So, now with my mag safe power cord on, it is really easy to jar loose. Do I just need a new battery? Thanks in advance!

Yes this subject has been beaten to death;)...and from what you describe, and knowing the age of your computer...you probably do need a new battery.

You could download & install this program:

coconut-flavour.com - [coconutBattery 2.6.5]

It will give you a bunch of battery info. Pay close attention to the "current battery capacity", and what percent that represents of the original battery capacity.

Hope this helps,:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Also, a bit off subject, but can I just buy a leopard upgrade and install it? Will I lose all of my stuff? PS, Illustrator, etc?? I guess the question is, How much will it cost to get Leopard on my machine?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess the question is, How much will it cost to get Leopard on my machine?

It will cost you $100+ for the Leopard install DVD on eBay.

Double check what versions of the software you have...and then check to see if they are compatible with Leopard (10.5)...or if they can be updated (via free updates) to be compatible with 10.5.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about this? Its from the classifieds?? Thanks for the links guys

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/buy-sell-trade/171147-snow-leopard-sale.html#post946813

If you have an Intel based Apple laptop...sure you can update your OS to Snow Leopard.

But again...if you're going from a version of Tiger (10.4) to Snow Leopard (10.6)...you need to verify that the programs you depend on are compatible with OS 10.6....or have "free updaters" to make them compatible with OS 10.6.

If there are no "free updaters" for your applications to make them compatible with 10.6...then you're probably going to have to pay big bucks to purchase newer application versions. If this is the case...it may not be worth updating your OS at this point.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see. In your opinion, what are some of the most drastic differences between the two?

Between which two...10.5 & 10.6?

Your earlier question seemed to revolve around your current programs being compatible with the OS update...so I would say you should verify that first...before deciding on an OS update.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.