Touch pad & mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Hi,

I am trying to make the touch pad work in combination with the mouse.

Do you know how to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can you explain a little more about what you're trying to do exactly?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Want to use the touch pad in combination with the mouse

Can you explain a little more about what you're trying to do exactly?

Hi,

I want to be able to use in combination the touch pad with the mouse together, and at times be able to use them both separately.

This will depend on, what tasks I have to do on the screen.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Assuming you're talking about plugging a mouse into a Macbook of some kind:

You can plug a usb mouse in and both the trackpad and mouse will work, at the same time. Plugging a mouse in doesn't disable the trackpad etc.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, for me at present I cant use the USB mouse in combination with the touch pad!

I am only able to use them separately i.e. either the mouse only or the touch pad only, but not in combination!

I have tried to check the settings, but couldnt locate anything in regard to that!

On my other windows based netbook, I have a button and a menu setting to be able to use either both on combination at the same time or separately.

I think this should be also possible on a macbook, but how!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which Macbook do you have? Which version of Mac OS?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac os x 10.5.8

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook mc240zp/a

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There used to be an option in the Trackpad preferences pane but if that's not there at 10.5.8 then try this in Terminal:
defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.ignoreTrackpadIfMousePresent 0

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There used to be an option in the Trackpad preferences pane but if that's not there at 10.5.8 then try this in Terminal:
defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.ignoreTrackpadIfMousePresent 0

Hi,

I was able to solve the problem.

Could I ask what's the difference of doing the setting through the Trackpad preferences pane, or anything similar to that versus through the terminal!

I ask this because, just recently I am having some trouble with some software. Just from nowhere this terminal, turned up on my dock station and I cant remove it; as it seems its processing systems data!

Thank you, appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

I was able to solve the problem.

Could I ask what's the difference of doing the setting through the Trackpad preferences pane, or anything similar to that versus through the terminal!
Glad it's working for you now.
No difference at all - except the method.

I ask this because, just recently I am having some trouble with some software. Just from nowhere this terminal, turned up on my dock station and I cant remove it; as it seems its processing systems data!

Thank you, appreciate your help.

I'm not sure I can help you there but if you post some details of the content in the Terminal window someone may be able to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.