• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Xvid

Reaction score
Can somebody please tell me how i can play an xvid avi file on my mac book pro 10.6 platform? For some strange reason when i attempt to play it, it says that quicktime needs a plug in. Please dont respond with solutions that don't work like perian. If your response is technical please give me step by step like i clarified.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try the Xvid Components for QuickTime available here. I'm not sure if they'll work with QTX but it's worth a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Or just use VLC media player instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Another for the pot:

Perian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Perian should do the the job since it contains many codecs. However, to be honest, you should really be using VLC to watch your media, it's much better than Quicktime.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Having Googled around a bit, apparently XVID support is not there in Perian or VLC.

The only thing I can find is this, but I don't quite understand what they're getting at:

Download the XviD Codec for Mac - XviD Movies

Not sure what a "delegate component is". But apparently you'll need the DivX player and then add the file they explained to Quicktime.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That's very odd since I can play Xvid files just fine on my Mac and all I have installed is Perian and VLC.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's very odd since I can play Xvid files just fine on my Mac and all I have installed is Perian and VLC.

Maybe I'm looking at older articles. I don't recall having issues viewing xvid files either, and I don't have anything aside from VLC and Perian on mine either.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you search for Perian in Google, the site description lists Xvid as a supported type but it's nowhere to be found on the site itself. That said, I'm not sure if the reference to the AviImporter here signifies Xvid support. Nonetheless, Xvid is listed as an officially supported video format for VLC (see here).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I have no issue with Xvid either.

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem. Neither the Perin install nor the Quicktime components did anything. Quicktime simply says "I can't play this file." VLC seems to open it but then just sits there doing nothing.

This seems to be a problem specific to OSX 10.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.