Problem installing OS 10.5 on Powerbook

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a powerbook G4, supposedly meeting the requirements for 10.5 (867 MHz, 612 MB RAM, about 15GB free on the HD), currently running 10.3.9.

I'm trying to install 10.5.5 from the DVD that came with a MBP but it's not working. I choose the language then get a message saying "Mac OS cannot install on this computer".

Any idea why it wouldn't install? I'm reading all over the place that it should work.

Thanks for any input.

João

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The DVDs that came with the MBP are machine specific.
You need to "purchase" the full retail version of OS X

Leo_300.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well I guess you did not read our forum search as this question must have been asked hundreds of times? As I said before we need a big flashing sign over the door:-

'System install discs are designed to work with the machine the discs came with ONLY'

OP
J
Reaction score
Well I guess you did not read our forum search as this question must have been asked hundreds of times? As I said before we need a big flashing sign over the door:-

'System install discs are designed to work with the machine the discs came with ONLY'

Yeah, get working on that sign.

And maybe some flashing detailed instructions about all the possible side chains of what people should search for instead of just something like "install 10.5 on a powerbook G4". That way people don't have to bother you.

Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.