30" Cinema Display, 24" Cinema display or iMac 27" - Logic Pro

Reaction score
I am thinking of updating my home studio setup which is currently running a Macbook pro 13" 2.26 with 4gb of ram.

I was first thinking of upgrading to an iMac with a 3.06Ghz processor and 27" display. However, I now think I might be ok staying with my MacBook and upgrading to one of the two displays;

- The 30" Cinema display

- Or the 24" Cinema LED display

At nearly half the price I am leaning towards the 24" display. I am using logic and ableton. What does everyone think and anyone had any experiences running logic and or ableton with a MacBook and display.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am thinking of updating my home studio setup which is currently running a Macbook pro 13" 2.26 with 4gb of ram.

I was first thinking of upgrading to an iMac with a 3.06Ghz processor and 27" display. However, I now think I might be ok staying with my MacBook and upgrading to one of the two displays;

- The 30" Cinema display

- Or the 24" Cinema LED display

At nearly half the price I am leaning towards the 24" display. I am using logic and ableton. What does everyone think and anyone had any experiences running logic and or ableton with a MacBook and display.

If your decision is narrowed down to either the 30" display or the 27" iMac...go with the 27" iMac...MUCH MORE bang for your buck!:)

If money is a concern...then obviously go with the 24" display.

If your only goal is an external display for your MBP...then get one of the external displays.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Ye thats what I am thinking... I might hold off to see if apple release any new displays (eg larger than 30") or even a new, cheaper mac pro.

What do you think about any new apple releases such as these?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Uni. 2.4/4GB/320GB/9600mGT 256MB
Ye thats what I am thinking... I might hold off to see if apple release any new displays (eg larger than 30") or even a new, cheaper mac pro.

What do you think about any new apple releases such as these?

Thanks

IMO if your mostly handling music creation software I would deffinitely spend my money on a larger screen. You really don't need a mac pro for those applications. All of the options you stated were good ideas. Personally I would save for the 27in imac. It's a beast, it really is, and it has that beautiful display (which is an IPS panel much like those found in a cinema display). So as nick said, its a great value. You're basically getting a 27in cinema display and a beast imac with a desktop grade C2D...for about the same price as a 30 in cinema display. Plus i hear it has that nifty function where you can use it as an external monitor (if you were just using your MBP for something). That just shows that if it was just the display, it would still have a decent value.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.