How to transfer files from PPC 8500/180 to new laptop?

Reaction score
I just purchase a new 17 inch MacBook Pro and would like to know if it possible to move all my files from my very old Power Macintosh 8500/180 which is running Mac OS 8.6 to my new laptop?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just purchase a new 17 inch MacBook Pro and would like to know if it possible to move all my files from my very old Power Macintosh 8500/180 which is running Mac OS 8.6 to my new laptop?

Thanks

My first question would be...are the files that are being moved going to be compatible with the program versions you will be running on your new MBP?

Otherwise...you could copy them via an:

- ethernet "crossover" cable
- ethernet via a hub
- if your 8600 happens to have a USB card installed in it, you could use a USB flash drive

I'm assuming when you say "files" you mean "documents"! Because 99.9% of the programs/applications on your 8600 WILL NOT run on your new MBP (assuming you have OS 10.5 or 10.6 on your MBP...which I'm sure it does)!

And even if they would run...you would probably need to reinstall them via the original install disks.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My interested is only in transferring documents and files. I have lots of text files (which should be fine) and lots of Word, Excel and PowerPoint files (hopefully can be opened with latest version of Office for the Mac). I would be nice to be able to save the old MacDraw files and other old Mac programs files but I do not think that is an option.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the reply. My interested is only in transferring documents and files. I have lots of text files (which should be fine) and lots of Word, Excel and PowerPoint files (hopefully can be opened with latest version of Office for the Mac). I would be nice to be able to save the old MacDraw files and other old Mac programs files but I do not think that is an option.

Good deal that you are only looking to transfer files. One of the methods I mentioned should work fine.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.