Ways to make my old, old iBook look new?

KFJ

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got myself an old iBook, here are the specs:

Processor: 500 Mhz PowerPC G3
Memory: 384 MB SDRAM.

Anyway, it's old, (Cost me 220$, though :( ) and I'd like to know how I could make it be new, (As in, new OS, and so forth.) So, can anyone help me out? Will Snow Leopard work on it? (I know that Snow Leopard is a beast when it comes to system requirements.) and general cosmetics will do me good :D

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
I can tell you right off the bat that Snow Leopard will not work on a G3.
It requires an Intel based machine.
Leopard won't work on it as well, as it requires a >867 MHz CPU.

Your best choice would be Panther (10.3) or Tiger (10.4)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey all,

I just got myself an old iBook, here are the specs:

Processor: 500 Mhz PowerPC G3
Memory: 384 MB SDRAM.

Anyway, it's old, (Cost me 220$, though :( ) and I'd like to know how I could make it be new, (As in, new OS, and so forth.) So, can anyone help me out? Will Snow Leopard work on it? (I know that Snow Leopard is a beast when it comes to system requirements.) and general cosmetics will do me good :D

Thanks in advance :)
No you cannot use Snow Leopard (OS 10.6)...it is for Intel Mac's only. In fact, you cannot use OS 10.5 either, since your iBook's CPU is not fast enough (you need at least an 867mhz cpu)...so your best bet is OS 10.4 (which can be upgraded to OS 10.4.11).

But...to get a copy of OS 10.4 is going to cost you over $100 dollars...probably on eBay.

Lastly...$220 dollars for that laptop was a pretty high price (assuming $220 US dollars)...I could have purchased one recently for about $75 with an Airport card...Mac2sell.com says it is worth $60.

Hope this helps...good luck,

- Nick

OP
K

KFJ

Reaction score
Oh, alright :)

But how about cosmetic changes?

And I got the iBook second hand, and I live in Iceland, where nothing is cheap, and everything is expensive.

Edit:

I just found out that my iBook is already on 10.4 :S

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, alright :)

But how about cosmetic changes?

And I got the iBook second hand, and I live in Iceland, where nothing is cheap, and everything is expensive.

Yes I understand that computers can be expensive in other places around the world...so $220 may not have been a bad price relative to the computer prices in your area.

As far as cosmetic changes...I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean cleaning, removing scuffs & scratches, or a total customization of some sort?

- Nick

OP
K

KFJ

Reaction score
Yes I understand that computers can be expensive in other places around the world...so $220 may not have been a bad price relative to the computer prices in your area.

As far as cosmetic changes...I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean cleaning, removing scuffs & scratches, or a total customization of some sort?

- Nick

I'm talking about how the desktop looks, and the bar on top :) (Not sure what it's called, been using Windows for a long time now :D )

Reaction score
Didn't you get the install CD's with it??

The menu bar is what make a Mac, a Mac... I don't think you can customize that or remove it.

Reaction score
Wow.. that's not good, you should always get the CD's with them, now it's probably going to cost extra to get them.

What would you want on it, because I have a spare Panther installment lying around.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah...you really can't do too much with the menu bar...but pretty much everything else can be modified.

- Nick

OP
K

KFJ

Reaction score
Wow.. that's not good, you should always get the CD's with them, now it's probably going to cost extra to get them.

What would you want on it, because I have a spare Panther installment lying around.

I'm mainly interested in making it look better, a new theme would be nice, if that's possible :)

And for some reason, I can't access the internet on it :(

And Nick, can I change its color?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And for some reason, I can't access the internet on it :(

And Nick, can I change its color?

As far as the internet. Do you have an Airport card installed in it...or is it connected via an ethernet cable?

I know in the "old days" (years & years ago...OS 9 days) there were programs that allowed you to change the color of the menu bar...but I haven't seen anything lately. That doesn't mean something doesn't exist...you may have to do an internet search for it.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.