Browser Problems

11della11

I've just switched from PC I'm trying out different browsers. I'm frankly shocked just how poor Safari is - the rendering is often shoddy and it is tempremental. Firefox and Camino arn't so good either, they also often render pages quite badly. I use a website in which money transactions are made quickly and frequently, Safari got all glitchy on me whilst on this website and i lost alot of money. I nearly threw my iBook out of the window.

my IE on windows was far more reliable, it's VERY annoying that i switched without knowing this.

What is the best browser to use? i'd really appreciate some help!

OP
C

Chris3801

11della11 said:
I've just switched from PC I'm trying out different browsers. I'm frankly shocked just how poor Safari is - the rendering is often shoddy and it is tempremental. Firefox and Camino arn't so good either, they also often render pages quite badly. I use a website in which money transactions are made quickly and frequently, Safari got all glitchy on me whilst on this website and i lost alot of money. I nearly threw my iBook out of the window.

my IE on windows was far more reliable, it's VERY annoying that i switched without knowing this.

i use safari and have no problem with it . U could try useing IE for mac

OP
I

IChing

My thoughts about IE are it is a security risk and I only use it on sites where it is absolutely necessary.
Do a goggle search on internet explorer security risks and then decide if you still want to use this.
I use safari and firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
What OS version are you running? Safari recently was updated with 10.3.9. Also IE for Mac would probably be a large disappointment. I use Safari primarily and have had no problems with rendering with the new version. I avoid IE at all costs :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
tbh there is no different between IE and firefox IMO its just that people make one as its different.

Im yet to find someone that has disputed this with real evidence.

As for safari yea the new update makes it a whole load better but my preference is firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
11della11 said:

The problem may lie with the website, rather than the browser. Lazy web designers can create websites that work perfectly with IE6 under Windows, but fail with Firefox or Safari. They figure, "90% of the world uses IE6/Win, who cares about the rest?"

Can you give an example of a site that you're having problems with?

OP
C

cadsmn

Try using Netscape. I run it on my XP desktop and on my PowerBook. Almost every site should render normal unless the web designer thinks that IE is the only web browser out there and didn't bother to test the site for multiple browsers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
cadsmn said:
Try using Netscape. I run it on my XP desktop and on my PowerBook. Almost every site should render normal unless the web designer thinks that IE is the only web browser out there and didn't bother to test the site for multiple browsers.

Netscape 7 uses an older version of the rendering engine used by Firefox/Camino. If it doesn't render in Firefox, it won't work in Netscape.

OP

11della11

technologist said:
Netscape 7 uses an older version of the rendering engine used by Firefox/Camino. If it doesn't render in Firefox, it won't work in Netscape.

hmmm...

Thanks for the comments, it probably is the 'why bother with 7%' factor in web design.

The website that is problematic is www.betfair.com a real time market - seconds are vital there. I presume it was written principally with MS IE in mind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.