Best work flow for raw photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (2.8 Ghz and 2 gb memory)& MacBook
Just starting to use raw and wonder what is the best way to process them. I have Canon EOS Utility, Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP), Adope CS4 and of course iphoto 09. I quite like iphoto as a photo library but when using jpegs always used CS4 for editing.

It appears, after a quick test using raw, that EOS Utilty downloads them but I did not put them in iphoto. I can then play with the images in DPP but I am not sure what to do with them after that. I am just starting and don't want to make some silly mistake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
I am also very interested to see what people do with raw photos...

Have you tried aperture I think that is a good way to use your raw pictures...
I assume aperture has support for your camera because they have support for almost all canon dslrs and some powershots...
If you want to check, the list is here: Apple - Aperture - Technical Specifications - Raw Support

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06Ghz intel dual core, 4GB ram, 500GB hard drive with 500GB backup drive
the only one that i know of that they don't support is the 7D for raw.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (2.8 Ghz and 2 gb memory)& MacBook
I haven't bought aperture and I really think I probably have enough software for the number of photos I take.
I know that I can download raw in either adobe bridge or canon's software, but which should I use. Once the raw image is in the computer I know that I can edit in Adobe and/or Canon software. But which? Then if I store it in iphoto to use the slideshow I think it becomes a jpeg so do I have to store it in two different places?

Reaction score
I manage all of my photos using Bridge CS4. I download directly from the CF card via Bridge and then afterwards all of my RAW editing is done in ACR with the fine tuning done in PS CS4. Once done in PS I save to either TIFF or JPEG depending on what I will be using them for. I used to back up the original CR2 files (Canon 40D) onto DVD's and keep the converted DNG's on the hard drive but I have recently begun to convert the CR2 files to DNG format upon download from the CF card. I no longer keep the CR2 files since DNG's are preferable for my workflow (I never use DPP). There are mixed opinions on not keeping the original CR2's but the way I do things has been working great for me.

Reaction score
Lightroom

I use lightroom it is an photo organizer and very powerful photo editor. Go the scott kelby training for some free lessons on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.